Testors Enamels - Just got a bunch free and have a few questions - HELP!

bkgActual

Okay, a friend of mine tells me that he "inherited" a bunch of enamel paint from his brother's father-in-law (sounds like a bad mob movie huh?). Being a wargamer and not a modeler, he uses only acrylic, so he wants to give them to me.
Being the cheap bottom feeder I am, I greatfully accept the gift and get them home to find that there are some very cool colors and event though some must be from the 60's or 70's (had 15 cent and 25 cent prices printed on caps), they are in perfect condition (with a bit of stirring).
Anyway, the last time I used enamel was when I was about 12 or so. Now that I use an airbrush and have been using acrylics for many years on my wargaming stuff, I have no idea about what the "gotchas" might be.
I know that the enamels are sometimes less popular because of drying time, but I wonder if applying with an airbrush will help with that?
Any pointers you guys can offer are much appreciated.
Thanks!

I personally don't like using enamels simply because I don't like the cleanup. They have their advantages and disadvantages. I still use them as an "under color" for weathering such as the hairspray technique. As far as drying time goes, spraying through an airbrush and having thin layers may help with the drying time. But remember, drying and curing are two totally different animals. Enamels require a lot longer to cure. The end result is more durable and often looks better. But it mostly comes down to personal preference.

Just a tip: Specific enamel thinner/cleaner is not necessary. Plain old paint thinner does the trick.

Thanks KeiserSoze. I appreciate your answer.

I will play around with the paint on some old parts and see how it goes. I guess we just experiment until we figure it out.

It's great to have a forum like this though. So many great ideas and suggestions!

;D

I use enamels exclusively and havn't had any real problems. I do have some of those old bottles like you said you have but I have never used them for airbrushing......I usually use model master enamels for that. As for drying time, it depends on what kind of finished you're using. Flat colors dry faster than glossy colors, and like was said, you can just use plain old mineral spirits for a thinner. I also agree with the 'curing'. Because enamels are oil based, you want to watch how much you handle them since overtime the oils from your hands and fingers can wear down the paint and cause it to become soft......to avoid this you want to give ample time to dry and then seal it before extensive handling. Drying time with an airbrush dpeneds on how heavy or light your coats are, and even though it may dry faster through an airbrush, you still want to give it awhile to cure. Clean up may or may not be messy but overall you will get some great finished with enamels.

I use a mix of paints and types, some lacquers, (cellulose in the UK), enamels and acryl.
I use Humbrol becuase they're very common in the UK and are very good paints and tamiya acrylics mainly though some others slip in occassionally, (you can't beat citadel metallics, knock spots off tamiya)

Enamels are messier, smellier thinner and cleanup and take a lot longer to cure, airbrushed or brushed, you can handle parts with care after 24 hours but 48 - 72 for heavier handling.
On the plus side you cannot beat the gloss that an enamel gives, If I want a really good gloss on a bike or car model for example I use enamels, (i use enamel as a primer regardless), if i'm doing military and matte then I typically use tamiya acryl as they're sturdy enough after 24 hours for masking and handling.

Thanks m1ks. I appreciate your answer. By the way, I have been experimenting with different acrylics and find Model Master to be very, very good for military colors. In fact, I will be using them for my SMA contest entry.

I have not used Tamya in years, but plan to pick some up.

Vellejo is good stuff, but I have had issues with them getting "thick". This makes it sort of a pain to thin and the like, but the colors are good.

After I do some more experimenting, I will post my findings. Obviously, you guys who are more experienced will have your own methods, but I figure what the heck, I'll throw my two cents in! :)

Latest posts

Back