Tempered glass cutting board

Dlesko

Hi guys. A while ago i remember seeing a few build threads were the author was using a tempered glass cutting board with what appeared to be rubber boardering around the edges. Any ideas on where i can purchase something like this? Thanks a bunch :)

Hi Dlesko.
You can get tempered glass fairly cheaply if you go to a glass & mirror repair service, preferably one that does
commercial work. They have broken scraps from store windows and will cut you a piece to what ever size you
want. I did this before when I wanted a glass cover for a cupboard.

Jim

An old copier or printer is a good source for a piece of plate glass, too. I have a couple of pieces from a buddy of mine who recycles electronics and digital equipment as a side-line, as well as pieces I salvaged from discarded equipment at work.

there is also recycle centers you could try. duno if you have those were you are

If you have an IKEA near you, hit the "As-Is" section of the warehouse part of the store. Aside from damaged/incomplete furniture, they usually have a whole pile of spare parts. See if you can find a glass door piece from a cabinet.

I got a good peice from a local Glass manufacturer ,they supply all sorts of glass for office buildings and the like ,they always have off cuts from the sheets they make and it only gets scrapped ,they even chamfered and polished the edges for me and only charged me a few £ /$ I stuck some small rubber pads on the underside to stop it sliding about .

Chris.

A piece of plate glass is also good to use as a sanding surface, it's about as flat as you can get. You lay a sheet of sandpaper over it, and then you can use it to sand things like fuselage halves, wing parts (trailing edges, eg), anything that has a long outline or area, that you need to sand evenly. I used this method to sand the pouring plate off a cast group of 50 gallon oil drums in 1/72, for example.

Latest posts

Back