Cutting Aluminum Tubing

Capt_Taggert

Never give up, never surrender!
I've got some small aluminum tubing and I'm not sure how to cut it, any suggestions?

How small?

down to 3mm you could use a miniature plumber's pipe cutter, the type with rollers and a cutting wheel.
below that, either a very fine saw or use a sturdy blade, like a Stanley, and carefully 'roll' it on a cutting mat to score round the pipe. It is so soft that this method works like the pipe cutter and gives a burr free edge.

Note if you chose a saw - the TPI needs to be so fine that the teeth don't engage on the diameter as such otherwise it will just drag the pipe and bounce rather than cutting. Personally, I use Zona saws at 0,010 blade thickness and down to ~52 TPI with a pull cut can't be beaten.

Finally, you could also use a miniture slitting disc in a rotary tool... ;D

Thanks for the tips. Can't remember off hand how small, but i'll give you're suggestions a go.

I use a small chop saw I purchased at Harbor Freight tools. Works pretty well, and it will let you adjust the angle of the cut.

Grendels - you mean this one?

http://www.harborfreight.com/bench-top-cut-off-saw-42307.html
4705552740_662a97d44b_z.jpg

I made a couple of accessories for mine. One for double checking the correct angle as the holder it comes with isn't exactly perfect...
4704910623_b2a3096713_z.jpg

And another one for doing straight cuts of larger stock...
4705554166_dfc9805c1b_z.jpg

Made from heavy styrene sheet - about 1/8" or so - with pegs below made of bits of sprue in the right places to fit into the holes in the chop saw's base.

That is the exact one I have. Minus the mods of course. Nice idea on those mods, I will have to study those later......

Latest posts

Back