magnifying glass/glasses

brian

Hi All
Just wondering what type of magnifying glass/glasses you wear for detailed small scale modelling if any??
If you do, what would be recommended, i already have a table lamp with built in magnifying glass, but was thinking more along the lines of the head band ones you can buy
cheers

Brian

brian said:
Hi All
Just wondering what type of magnifying glass/glasses you wear for detailed small scale modelling if any??
If you do, what would be recommended, i already have a table lamp with built in magnifying glass, but was thinking more along the lines of the head band ones you can buy
cheers

Brian

Hi, Brian, you're referring to an Optivisor or similar headgear, and I recommend it heartily. You don't need to buy the Optivisor brand itself, there are a lot of clones out there, especially copied, er, produced in the PRC. I have a Chinese copy that I picked up at a show for $10. When I first used it, I wished 2 things--that I had bought myself one years before, and that I had gotten one with a built-in light (same vendor at the show had such a model, for $15. Should have bought it!) I paint miniatures, and I had gradually lost up-close focus, that is, I used to hold a piece about 6 to 8 inches from my face, to do fine details. The Optivisor restored that focus.

Most models have two sets of lenses, plus a loupe mounted on one side.

I mentioned getting one with lights. I originally thought that my well-lighted work area meant that I didn't need a built-in light, but I think now it would be handier to have a lighted version, even so.

Hope that helps!

Many thanks mate, just just what i was wanting to hear, guess i'll be looking for some with the built in lights. Its been a while since i tried my hand at figures and im guessing my eye sight isnt what it used to be,
Thanks for the help, appreciated
Brian

Hi Brian.
I'm not a big fan of eBay but for this kind of gear I highly recommend checking it out. Check the "free shipping" box and type head band magnifying glass. You should be able to find something decent with light for 10$ or 12$.
Hope this helps!
Cheers

Because of My vision problems this is what I use:

http://www.ocutech.com/Products/VES-K/

You have to be fitted for them, and I am not sure what the current price is, but it's not cheap. I own 2 pair (4x versions) of these, 1 clear, and 1 in Polaroid (sunglasses). They work great for Me.

Thanks for the help guys
Decided to go for these off ebay, only 10.00 and they are very good, i cannot complain for the price, they do the job perfectly
thanks
Brian
Capture-2.png

This was the exact question I had. I love figures, but I can't see close enough for detailed painting.

Baron (or anyone) - would you recommend the Quasar-type magnifier for the built-in lighting?

Brian - how's your experience been with the headset you purchased?

Hi Keith
I found the headset i purchased off ebay for a fraction of the price of the branded type excellent, they are just as good if not better, magnification is great, you can see every little detail on a 1/35 figure, exactly what i was looking for
thanks
Brian

keith41 said:
Baron (or anyone) - would you recommend the Quasar-type magnifier for the built-in lighting?

Hi, Keith, I can't speak to a specific brand, but yes, I do recommend getting a visor with built-in lighting. If I were shopping for a replacement for my current visor, I would get the lighting. It just helps to have a light focused along your line of site, in my opinion.

Baron/Brian - Thanks to you both.

I compared many types on Ebay and ended up going with the exact model you posted, Brian. I got them for $11, and free shipping. Not bad, considering.

I wear glasses and just hope that won't be a problem.

Latest posts

Back