Tasca M4A1 Sherman Shelf Queen

Looking great John.

More than happy to move this to the Shelf Queen group build. Just let me know.

Good to have it here man! John what would you recommend for a great oob Sherman Kit (1/35)?

Hi John and Thanks!

Well, you know I’m going to recommend Tasca kits. LOL

They are expensive, but in my opinion, the most accurate kits available. The suspensions are a little tricky and time consuming, but build up very nice. The fit is excellent also. They can be built with out any extra detailing to make a really nice model.

Some of the Dragon kits are nice, but do have some fit issues. I’d stay away from the older releases. Some of the Dragon kits have the wrong lower turret ring for the upper turret. Dragon kind of dropped the ball on its Shermans compared to their German kits.

Tamiya kits are by far the easiest to build. But do need a few mods if you want it fairly accurate. The 3 biggest things on Tamiya kits are the open sponsons, (not hard to fill), the open back road wheels. (Plenty of AM wheels on the market) and recessed weld beads on the hull. (Not a real big deal). It all depends on how accurate you want it .

I guess tell me what variant you like the best and how accurate you want to get and I can point you in the right direction.

This is a very good site that explains a lot about Sherman variants. Well worth a look.

http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/index.html

And a review I did on the new Asuka (Tasca) Firefly Ic Hybrid.

http://the-sherman-shop.freeforums.net/thread/151/asuka-model-028-firefly-accesories

Looking great under some wash there BJ!!! Almost picked one up this weekend...LOL! ALMOST!! Maybe at the show in a couple weeks.

Great review BTW!!! ;)

First round of pin washes is complete. Now I’ll let this dry for a few days, then start filters.

M4A1-32_zps68509b21.jpg

M4A1-33_zps3607907a.jpg

John I may have to pick up one of the Tasca kits ;) And the wash looks great, though any reason you chose to do it on a Matt base?

For some reason, I like the results of the pin wash on a flat coat. But I need to learn how to like it on a gloss coat. LOL

Got the filter applied this weekend. I see a few splotchy spots that I’ll go back and soften up a bit.

M4A1-34_zps2eb46adb.jpg

M4A1-35_zps46ed0157.jpg

Let this dry a bit then I’ll start on the streaking effects.

I’ve made a start on the streaking. I can see some streaks that are a little over powering in the pics. I have already went back and softened them up. Once I get a few more colors on, it will start to tie all together.

M4A1-37_zps62b166cd.jpg

M4A1-36_zps2d5f6392.jpg

Thank you Scott!

I’ve continued this weekend by adding more layers. A subtle filter has been applied and making a start on the rain marks. The layers are starting to tie all together and making it look softer now.

M4A1-40_zps646eaf57.jpg

And here are a couple of shots with the rain marks completed.

M4A1-41_zpsa1c4b4bf.jpg

M4A1-42_zps1c2103fa.jpg

Latest posts

Back