Tasca M4A1 Sherman 7th AD France 1944

nooooo, BJ, not a Sherman again!!!! :'(

oh well, it's a BJ build and that's ALWAYS cool! ;D ;)

would be great if you did it with the figs though :)

Looking forward to this bud

Cheers

mmmmm......I thought I saw an RSO with Big J's name on it , I'm not sure but that might be one of them German thingy-ma-duders ;)....but one can not stray to far form the Sherman blood!! ;D

Hey Eric,

I will continue on with the RSO as well.

But I do have a soft spot for Shermans, and you can always find one on my bench ;D

IMG_0800.jpg

you love shermans more than i love jam...i feel ashamed ive only built one i think i will have to change that

Ok, here we go,

I started this build a couple of years ago. I got a lot done on the project only to find out I had used the wrong Transmission housing on this particular tank. I was going off the cover of Squadrons Sherman in action book and had used Formations late sharp nosed housing.

Bz1b7p2kKGrHqVg0Ew5BgNMeBMwCk5Iw_3.jpg

While the build was ongoing, I was also researching the markings for Archer Transfers. That’s when the picture I have posted at the beginning of this thread showed up. You can clearly see that this particular Sherman had the early cast Transmission housing.

So, wanting to be accurate, the only thing to do was start over with the build. I put it away for a while and concentrated on other projects. With The Cobra King done, It’s time to pull this one back out.

The hull on the left is the new build, while the one on the right is the original build.

IMG_0831.jpg

The bogie units salvaged from the original build. Along with my son’s Christmas ornament he was repairing at my bench. ( kids always know where my superglue is, LOL)

IMG_0830.jpg

And this is last week ends progress.

IMG_0829.jpg

IMG_0828.jpg

Hey Big J!!!

I totally understand starting over when you have a particular subject in mind and you discover a couple of build "errors" :mad: Sometimes you just have no choice but to start anew ::)

I think BB is one of the most buildable Shermans out there, but you never really see it that often being done. This should build up nicely.

Lastly I was woundering if I could make a request. Could you post up a detailed SbS on how you do that awesome texturing. I'm sure you are planning on giving BB the treatment. As I'm getting ready to start work on my own Sherman Turret I would really like to give you technique a try.

Keep up the Great Work!!

Thanks Eric!

I've admired ol BB for a long time. Gotta do her justice and start fresh!

I obtained a cheap Video camera, maybe I can make a video on the cast texture, seam about the easiest way to explain it.

Can you think of a better way to spend a cold winter night? Starbucks and a model. ;D ;D :p

IMG_0907.jpg

A little progress on this one while I wait for the flat coat to cure on my other M4A1 project.

Looking at the picture of “BB” you can see some foundry marks on the differential housing. You can also see a faint shadow of a foundry mark on the upper right corner of the gun shield.

I went online and found some good examples from reference photos of casting marks in the same location as those shown on this M4A1.

I used Archer Transfers AR88007 Casting symbols (Foundry Marks) and was able to make up all the markings that matched the reference photos.

Here is a shot of the plain differential.

ACM-3_zps2b9b063a.jpg

A partial marking applied with some other numbers laid out.

ACM-7_zps6239353a.jpg

The competed marking on the differential

ACM-1_zpsf3ade309.jpg

Markings on the turret.

ACM-5_zps5206724c.jpg

ACM-6_zps18a2e17e.jpg

And markings on the gun shield.

ACM-4_zps16520bdb.jpg

Latest posts

Back