Tamiya's re-release of th 1/25th scale Jagd-Panther

panzerace007

Hey Guys,

Here are some preliminary shots of Tamiya's re-release of Their 1/25th scale Jagd-Panther. I need to add some more weathering to it. I wanna give her a wash with raw umber oil paint, fuel stains & really give those road wheels a good work out !! All I've done so far is to give it a dry brush of th base coat over th entire vehicle to show some wear to th paint. I also Used ModelMakerZ rust colored pigments to put some wear on the mufflers.

This particular Jagd-Panther is modeled as a vehicle that would've been seen with th 654th PzJagr.Abtl in November of '44. This is a G1 late production as evident of the relocated Fume extractor on th roof, to just above the main gun. A mono periscope for the driver, no Zimmerit . I also relocated the tools to the rear as is a Unit specific thing for th 654th. This is OOB except for the brackets for the Gun Cleaning tube on the rear (made from spare P.E. fret, th straps were made from thin Evergreen strip) & I filled the locator spots for the tool racks with Mr.Dissolved Putty

I will come back & add more pix after th weathering !!

Hope you enjoy.

DSC07691.jpg

DSC07694.jpg

DSC07692.jpg

DSC07695.jpg

DSC07696.jpg
Here is somewhat of a close up to see the "new" tool lay out. The P.E. screens are from Aber . They are made for the Academy 1/25th JP, but since that is a straight rip on Tamiya's JP, it's a perfect fit ! I got them from Artistic Hobbies - http://www.artistichobbies.com/products.php?cat=83

DSC07702.jpg

Thanx everyone for the kind words.

@Scarred Kustoms - She's a pretty good size. There are many good aspects. One , because of the size it lends well to scratch building & making her look pretty ! I can't wait to get into the weathering aspect. Painting th camo was fun on such a big Kitty !

ERIK

It's odd that this post came up; I just uncovered an original edition of this kit which was given to me back in the day. I never got around to building it because I have nothing else in 1/25.

dscn2485k.jpg

It is huge (excuse the crappy camera phone pic)...

dscn2489l.jpg

I might just have to give this kit a whirl now.

SPLASH,

Give it a whirl ! This "New" kit is a straight Re-PoP. Meaning all Tamiya did was re-pour th molds & put it on th market. Does your kit come with figures ? This kit came with 5 figures. All old School Tamiya - No real detail. I'll save them & perhaps re-sculpt them ( sand them down & re do th features). Also you may want to think about getting the Aber Deck screens & The Aber German Tool clasps post 43 set - http://www.artistichobbies.com/proddetail.php?prod=ABE25002 if you wanna add some X-tra detail. It's on sale for only $16 USD. Plus these Guys at Artistic are really cool to deal with & Ship fast ! ( I'm not affiliated with them, I'm just a happy customer) I might also look for another source for the Decals. These are rather thick. Although with this scale you could just paint th numbers your self.

Cool Box art. I thought that Tamiya recycled th box art too, but I guess not .

Tamiya125jagdpanther.jpg
This is th New Box art.

Let me know if you need any reference pertaining to units & whereabouts. With this particular version of th Jagd-panther , there were only 2 units that fielded them at th time. The 1st. JP's didn't see action until June 25th '44.

Now, now! That's a big bad Girl!

Nice job!

BTW. Kits are made to be built! Odd scale or not!

Can't wait for your next up date..... Take your time!

There's also another little add on if you wanna go that route. RB are normally known for Their turned Aluminum Barrels. They make 1/25th scale barrels .... but they are made of Wood & They look fantastic ! I guess they are made from wood to cut down on th little bit of weight that you would have from a bigger barrel !!

http://www.rbmodel.com/main.php?action=products&cat=c_bm&sub=25B

Now , th barrel you want is th same barrel they have for the King Tiger, as They had th same Gun !!

panzerace007 said:
SPLASH,

Give it a whirl ! This "New" kit is a straight Re-PoP. Meaning all Tamiya did was re-pour th molds & put it on th market. Does your kit come with figures ? This kit came with 5 figures. All old School Tamiya - No real detail. I'll save them & perhaps re-sculpt them ( sand them down & re do th features). Also you may want to think about getting the Aber Deck screens & The Aber German Tool clasps post 43 set - http://www.artistichobbies.com/proddetail.php?prod=ABE25002 if you wanna add some X-tra detail. It's on sale for only $16 USD. Plus these Guys at Artistic are really cool to deal with & Ship fast ! ( I'm not affiliated with them, I'm just a happy customer) I might also look for another source for the Decals. These are rather thick. Although with this scale you could just paint th numbers your self.

Cool Box art. I thought that Tamiya recycled th box art too, but I guess not .

Tamiya125jagdpanther.jpg
This is th New Box art.

Let me know if you need any reference pertaining to units & whereabouts. With this particular version of th Jagd-panther , there were only 2 units that fielded them at th time. The 1st. JP's didn't see action until June 25th '44.
Thanks for the links, Panzerace. I'm going to order some of the PE sets to bring this beast up to modern standards. To answer your question; no, this original issue of the kit did not come with figures, it did come with a nifty little motor, though :)

Hi Erik, sorry, I just asked a question regarding Jagdpanther colour scheme & the paints you used on your Berg-Panther, however I just saw this post which is probably a little more relevant. What Tamiya acrylics did you use for this? Thanks.

SPALSH,

Aw !! You got th Motor ... The 'lil electric motor didn't come in th Re-Pop of th Kit !! Lucky Dog !!

NICK,

The Colors I used on both were the Tamiya Dark Yellow (XF-60) , Red Brown (XF-64), Dark Green (XF-61). I then dry brushed with the Dark Yellow to "wear" the paint scheme & blend it all together ! I will go back further & add a wash of Windsor Newton Raw Umber & some of ModelMakerZ Eurpoean Dirt ... for dirt etc ! Sorry about th quality of th pix on th Berge-Panther mit Pz. IV turret. It doesn't show th True Colors. I used a different light set up & didn't adjust th White Balance on th Camera ! D'OH ! :-[

The Color scheme for th Jagd-panther - I took from Karl-Heinz Munch's book - Combat History Panzerjagr Abteilung 654 ( ISBN # 0-921991-60-6) This book is Off-th-Chain. Now while at first it may be expensive. If you look on Amazon under th used book part you will find it for a heck of a lot cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0921991606/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Of course I say this ... but If you want to bone up th $$ Go for it, other wise you may catch it from another seller cheaper . You won't be disappointed ! I actually grabbed it from a used book dealer for $75 USD. This book is Huge - 663 pages & Over 800 pix( all from private collections of th units vets !). The 654th started out as a Ferdinand division. They started out in Kursk, with sister unit 653rd.( that's whom Field modded th Panther with th Pz IV G turret that I built) They moved to Italy & when They got Their Butts kicked, They gave Their remaining Ferdinands to th 653rd. & went back to France & re-fitted with th then New Jagd-Panther !! So, It's almost like 2 books in one ( tons of pix on Ferdinands & JP's). This units history is Chocked Full - with after action reports, of almost Every singel day from th War !! Tons of usefull knowledge. Allowing you to build Super accurate kits from this Division ( if that's what you wanna do, & even more Super Accurate Dios !) ... The reports even have the Weather conditions !! I love this book ... can'tcha' tell ! ;D

Does that answer your Question ? If you have any more .. Please don't hesitate to ask ! That's Why We're all here ! To trade ideas, reference etc & Build !!
ERIK

Re: Tamiya's Box Art

Back in the day that Tamiya box art really fueled my imagination while looking at the models in the hobby store! Great Model Erik! Very well done!

Frank Blanton

Thanx for th kind words FRANK. I too really got into th Box Art. It seemed, to Me, Theirs was th most exciting to look at !!

Really appreciate the detailed reply Erik. I will definitely go out & get the colours you have mentioned & use them. Mine is a 1/16th scale Heng Leong RC version. It's an exoensive toy really, but I want to give it a decent paint job with weathering & maybe a few extra bits added on. Before I read your reply I also found a couple of other good references for jagdpanther camo & I have supplied the link here. I am assuming these camo patterns are authentic...

http://www.warandtactics.com/smf/panzer-v-its-variants-panther/jagdpanther-camouflage-patterns-earl-grey-collection/

...once again, thanks for your help. I will post pics of the finished paintjob so you can see how it came out.
Cheers,
Nick

WoW NICK ! That's a cool link. Thanx for sharing.

What does your Jagd-Panther look like. We can almost get an exact match on the style of camo. Most of these examples are accurate, but there is one thing to take into consideration,it's an Artist's rendition. Giving all the Credit to the Artists. Some pix are not correct ... Technically ..

Take for instance the second picture. Panzer Lehr. *Turret Number ( JP's do not have turrets, but the tactical # will be referred to in this post.) 823. I have a color picture, taken from an 8mm movie News reel. The true colors on this Kitty are actually Base of Zinc Oxide primer ( a very Black Grey) over sprayed with large patches of Dark Green, with some outlines of Dunkelglelb. 823 is written in chalk on the side. IIRC. The colors were debated for a while as being - The darkest color ( Black Grey) was thought to be Red Oxide primer. This is also , because of Date, a Jagd-Panther G2. Big tip-off is the fact of No Zimmerit. They discounted that practice Sept. 7th of '44. G2 is on a Panther G chassis. The G1's were on the Panther A chassis. Those are some easy keys to narrowing th JP down.

GermanArmyrealpaintJagdPantherlate_2-2.jpg

jp4-1.jpg

jp3-1.jpg
Here's a G.I. goofin' off !

These pix are from Hanover Germany April '45 ? So, with out turning into a rivet counter, there are a few subtle differences in the JP's. There were 3 "variants" of the JP. Which means, there are 3 divisions in the production run. G1 early , G1 late production , G2 . There are some prominent changes to each.

But if you wanna know more let me know. I'm not sure how accurate you would like to be. I mean If you wanted to, you could get down to the Exact Serial # of a particular JP, That would give you date of production, What Plant it was manufactured, which in turn would dictate the Style of Camo, Which Unit accepted it. Unit specific add-ons, etc. Every modeler is different. It just depends on how far you wanna take the Accuracy/research thing.

For example. Here is the Story of JP 823 & Who commanded it. http://www.network54.com/Forum/47207/thread/1241644888/Jagdpanther+823

I'm lookin' forward to seeing th paint job !!

Talk to ya soon,

ERIK

Here's an Up-Date ..... Th JP's Weathered & sittin' onna base. Mud & Dirt - Pigments from ModelMakerZ - European & Russian Dirt. Streaked with Raw Umber Oil paint. Dry brushed with Tamiya XF-63 to show some wear to th paint ! The Grass is from Hudson & Allen & the Flowers are from th Dried section of Michael's Craft store

DSC08019.jpg

DSC08020.jpg

DSC08023.jpg

DSC08022.jpg

DSC08021.jpg

DSC08024.jpg

DSC08027.jpg

DSC08026.jpg

Hey Erik...........that is one cool looking piece of hardware there bud, the 3 tone scheme is superbly executed and looks awesome with the weathering and base, ya done a top class job on this big `ol gal!!!!! ;D

`Boots`

Latest posts

Back