Tamiya MK.5 Chieftain

ahmed malik

I recently bought this model, so i thought i'll make a build log.

i'm fairly new to this hobby, and in this build, i will be scratch building some parts, for the first time. Progress has been slow and i may not get anything done until i get my tamiya cement, instead of my humbrol one in the tube.

progress so far ;D

DSC_0084_zps4af44eaa.jpg
DSC_0081_zps7d1fedec.jpg
some realistic weld beams, especially for 1975
DSC_0087_zpsa31992ac.jpg
click on the picture, it will not be streched anymore.
DSC_0094_zps65ee0c9f.jpg
my first ever scratchbuilt thing, a handle, lol handles aren't that hard
DSC_0096_zps60f8a575.jpg
DSC_0097_zps2e18d744.jpg
might add these to the model
DSC_0100_zps882bab41.jpg

progress will continue when the cement comes.

:) Hi there Ahmed

Very interesting subject,

to me, the Chieftain MBT is the "Ford Torino" of the MBTs. I particularly find it attractive depicted in the "urban camo" painting scheme,

Nah, absolutely do not worry about what you say ... being "new to this hobby" -> just enjoy, IMO thats the secret... :D

Go on Ahmed :)
RGR

some progress... base coat applied, all handbrushed :eek:
some touchups in some places required... pics

i need some help on the weathering, and i think i should put a mantlet cover.
any advice is greatly appreciated

ahmed ;)

if you want to make it more accurate, add a big pool of oil underneath it, they were notorious for leaking oil :)

I like this model is one of those tanks that have something to do so attracts thumbnail, and if the paint is like the Berlin Brigade The Scheme is simply irresistible.

should i add a camoflage, and if so, how should i do it, i brush so i can do it free hand, or should i use blutack.
also, someone used an olive drab on the berlin brigade camo, so i could do it, but i have never done a camo job, should i take it slow and do a simple one (black strips), or the berlin brigade... ???, i think it will really look bad in olive drab.

ahmed

Yeah that would work. The white I mean ;D BTW filters wont lighten color. It just changes
it's apperance and each successive filter will darken the color. " I found that out on my build "
:eek:

It really depends on the color of the filter applied and the base color of the paint it's applied to.

My white washed Tiger was getting too dark after some filters, so I applied thinned white acrylic paint to the white wash to help bring the white back and brighten it up.

Also, using a Panzer yellow filter over a three tone German camo scheme will simply soften the demarcation lines of the camouflage and blend it all together. It won't darken the yellow if used from the same color and it will actually lighten the green and brown.

Ken Abrams said:
It really depends on the color of the filter applied and the base color of the paint it's applied to.

My white washed Tiger was getting too dark after some filters, so I applied thinned white acrylic paint to the white wash to help bring the white back and brighten it up.

Also, using a Panzer yellow filter over a three tone German camo scheme will simply soften the demarcation lines of the camouflage and blend it all together. It won't darken the yellow if used from the same color and it will actually lighten the green and brown.

Thats good too know - Thanks Ken :)

Latest posts

Back