Tamiya McLaren MP4/5B F1 race car - Senna

Thanks a lot fellas!!!

Well, finally the paints needed arrived last week, and I found some time to continue this one. I already sealed the monocoque and added the first batch of advertising decals. Engine and different parts already got their basecoat.
McLaren12_zps7f0ebf93.jpg

McLaren13_zpsf1fe5b40.jpg

McLaren14_zpsf07e9bf1.jpg

McLaren15_zps9eaff067.jpg

McLaren16_zps872d467c.jpg

especially weathering and further painting of the exhausts gives me some worries, any tips on how to do it?

Cheers

Nice work on that engine. As for weathering of the exhaust, not sure, but you can probably do a good job of it using Alclad paints and their burnt metal effects.

Thanks guys!

I had some more time today to play a bit more with the airbrush. The transmission box was painted with a brush and the engine parts were done as well, thought it's all a dryfit at the moment. Some wiring needs to be added. Starts to look like a F1 car now...

McLaren17_zps1a610b6f.jpg

McLaren18_zpsc1a1744a.jpg

McLaren19_zps3ae2c719.jpg

McLaren20_zps6d9f41e9.jpg

McLaren21_zps5b90e645.jpg

Cheers

Awesome stuff wouts, this is going to be really nice once finished

Gag, Andrei and Spuddie, thanks fellas, always nice to read that people have confidence.

I used the Zero paints for the first time today and I must admit I was very pleased with it: sprayed easily and dries fast!

Also, I painted some details today and finished the cockpit. Glued it into place and glued the upper and lower part of the monocoque together.

McLaren24_zps42608a1d.jpg

McLaren25_zps6d378375.jpg

the steering wheel got a drybrush with a grey color
McLaren26_zps2b1f4a8b.jpg

McLaren27_zpse0c99111.jpg

McLaren23_zpsf0dd9062.jpg

I think the radiators might benefit a mild dark wash to pop the detail out.

Quite hard to keep the dust particles away btw...

Cheers

Ken, Java and Quaralane, thanks a lot lads!

I added some wiring to the engine today, and glued it into place. I gave the some parts a thin wash using MIG Dark Wash. I also added the wheels to the rims and testfitted them. Really starts to look like a car now.
There were much more wires on the car - especially on the sidepods, but I'm not going to add them. With the body in place nothing will be seen of it anyway.

Some additional decals need to be added to the monocoque - especially some Marlboro ones. The aren't obviously not provided in the Tamiya kit, so I'm waiting for them to arrive. The decal sheet is of an Italian Company called TB Decals. Hope it arrives soon, and hopefully the Good Year decals work well on the tyres...

Cheers

Well, finally back. Had some issues logging in yesterday, seemed I forgot my password ::)

Thanks for the great comments!

And finally an update...a couple of weeks ago I primed the bodywork using Mr. Surfacer 1200...first time I sanded down a paintjob, but it had to be done. Once the surface was smooth I sprayed on the Zero Paints White color...Ended up with a bit of a grainy surface, so again, sanding it down using 2000 grit sanding paper was the trick.

Today I masked off the body and sprayed on the McLaren red. Even though I masked it thouroughly some faint spots of red ended up on the white here and there...hope the decals will cover it up a bit.

Decals on the tyres are of a decal sheet made by a small Italian company which name I forgot...wasn't too expensive, but the Good Year logos look exactly right, but it should do...

next up would be a clear coat ^^

Cheers

thanks a lot mate!

Well, I managed to paint some smaller parts and assemble the wings. All dryfitted of course. Next step would be finally the clear and decs...

The white and red is a bit of a paint in the a$$ to photograph decently btw...

the briljant white by Zero paints has the tendency to dry very quick at the nozzle and model, so a lot of gentle sanding was needed to get a sort of smooth finish...oh well, it's a good experience no doubt :p

Cheers

Looking really nice, love the look of the rubber tyres. Gonna look sweet with some decals.

Latest posts

Back