Tamiya McLaren MP4/5B F1 race car - Senna

Wouter

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

First time I'm entering the SMA Big Spring Contest, and first time doin' a car...quite exciting times it is ;D

Two years ago I got the Tamiya McLaren F1 MP4/5B racing Car, which was used in the 1990 season. Drivers were Gerhard Berger and Ayrton Senna. Since I share the same birthday as Senna (well, apart from the year in which we were born :p) I decided it could only be his car which I'll be building...

The opening race of the 2013 F1 season is due soon so will be starting around that date...hope that all goes well ^^

Cheers

Eastrock

It's All About The Fun!!!
Reaction score
Hey there wouts!!! Good luck on the your build :D

Senna was one of the best F1 driver

Carsenault

Reaction score
Cool, I contemplated building a McLaren MP4/13 for the contest. Ill be watching this build. Senna wa one of my favorites too. Watching him race the McLaren's was like watching a master musician playing a perfect instrument.

spud

Irish and proud of it :)
Reaction score
Oh Sweet Wouts looking forward to this ;D

rookie

This is not a toy
Reaction score
Amazing how quickly these cars evolve, looks almost vintage and its only a dozen years old.

Nice tribute to one of the greats, taken before his time.

Chris S

Its a bit like being handcuffed to a lunatic !
Reaction score
Nice to see you in the comp Wouter ,you'll enjoy that one :)

Chris.

adampolo13

Reaction score
I was just drooling over this kit the other day at the LHS. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

The Model Dude

"Yeah, well. The Dude abides."
Reaction score
A nice looking kit! It will be fun to see what you do with her. :)

WebbyNZ

Reaction score
another reason to celebrate this car is 2013 is the 50th anniversary for Mclaren

Grendels

Reaction score
Looks like a nice kit, and I will be watching.

Igard

Reaction score
Legendary car. And I agree. It has to be Senna. Bookmarked. Good luck with this one mate! :)

Wouter

Reaction score
thanks for the vote of confidence lads! :)

Gag: thanks for posting that up, that's a great vid mate, quite jalous, who wouldn't want to sit in a classic McLaren ey? ^^

Well, todays my birthday, but more importantly for this build: Ayrtons birthday as well! So a good day to start the build. I cleaned up the monocoque already and added the parts for the front suspension. Plan is not to go heavy on AM parts, just some detailing of the engine using some rod and getting an aftermarket sheet of decals (with Marlboro advertisement!) and some 'Good Year' templates for the tyres.

Ayrtons office

engine parts :p

the tyres will require some 'roughening up'

couldn't resist in trying to get the body fitted :D

well, that's it for today ^^

Cheers

Mr.Max

Look Before You Leap!
Reaction score
Cool! I have a fondness for McLarens.
Happy modeling and good luck! ;)

Wouter

Reaction score
Thanks a lot mate!

Well, started to add some paint today. I primered the parts using Mr. Surfacer 1200 and after that some layers of Tamiya Semi Gloss Black were sprayed on. Will need some touching up here and there though.

I'm not going to add much in terms of extras, but one thing I couldn't leave is adding the steering rod. I took a plastic rod, painted it Vallejo Brass and glued it into place. Small detail which really adds to the model I think

Steering wheel was painted as well and the decal for the display added. Will need a lot more SOL though

That's it for todays update

Cheers

Latest posts