Tamiya M4 Sherman shelf queen repaint

Big-John

Hey fellas,

Thought I’d share this one over here. It’s been a while since I posted on SMA.

This is a project that I started back in the 90s and gave up on it because I didn’t like how the paint was turning out.

I found it a few months ago packed away in a box and decided to give it a new make over and finish it.

This is the before pic. I removed the markings and cleaned up a couple of small seams.

100_0637.jpg

Next is a couple of in process shots of the make over.

IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

And this one is where I am currently at with the finish

IMG_0220.jpg

I hope you enjoy!

That looks quality bud the highlights looks amazing buddy.much better than before

One quick question, if you don't mind.

Notice the 'rollers' in this crop of your photo. There are 2 small indents on each...are they supposed to be there?

The only reason I ask is that I'm building a similar kit and not sure if I should fill them or leave them.

Thanks.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Nice going John, good to see you back at it. 8)

Scott Girvan said:
One quick question, if you don't mind.

Notice the 'rollers' in this crop of your photo. There are 2 small indents on each...are they supposed to be there?

The only reason I ask is that I'm building a similar kit and not sure if I should fill them or leave them.

Thanks.

IMG_5343.jpg

Super. Thank you both.

And nothing is black (rubber on tires etc...)....it's all OD -

Scott Girvan said:
And nothing is black (rubber on tires etc...)....it's all OD -

No the road wheels are rubber (but I wouldn't use black, a very dark gray for scale effect)

...what you see in the photo is a hasty museum/gate guard repaint, if that tank started up and drove for a bit, that paint would wear/flake off exposing the rubber.

Yeah, what Ken said....... ;)

I will also add that the idler wheel is also steel, so no rubber portion on that. What kind of tracks does it have Scott?

Some variants of sherman track where all steel, while others had rubber blocks.

The Academy kit he's building has the all steel, three bar cleat T-49's

;)

Yeah, That is cool spud. That's my dream job restoring WWII tanks for a living. I might as well keep dreaming. ;D

Big-John, nice work. Did you strip the paint off before you put on the new coat? If so what did you use?

Tanker52 said:
Big-John, nice work. Did you strip the paint off before you put on the new coat? If so what did you use?

All I did was sand the stars off, then sprayed several light coats of new paint.

Tamiya M4 Sherman Finished

100_0803.jpg

100_0804.jpg

100_0802.jpg

100_0801.jpg

100_0799.jpg

100_0798.jpg

100_0797.jpg

100_0805.jpg

Just amazing what a few light coats of new paint can do... The tracks have a nice realitic look as well. Weathering looks nice. Job well done. I really like how you transfromed this model.

Latest posts

Back