Tamiya Kubel.

ausf

I guess it's time I post something.

I'm working on converting a 1/16 Tamiya Kubel static kit to RC. I wanted to preserve the interior and there's really zero space in a Kubel for motors, etc. so I opted for using the motor, trans and steering of an existing 1/24 rock crawler kit. It meant the end result would be 4WD, not accurate to a Kubel, but more helpful with RC battles and not getting stuck in a ditch somewhere.

I had to extend the driveshaft with aluminum tubing as well as make a brass housing for it since the kit space was a bit too narrow. The rear suspension is functional with springs and shocks, the front design of the Kubel left me with no room, steering gear taking up the space. To access all parts for maintenance, I used 1mm bolts and nuts on the wheels, so they come off like the real thing as well.

As it is, it runs a good scale speed, about twice that of my Pz IV, which is pretty accurate since the top road speed of a Kubel was 50mph compared to 26 of the IV.

Here's where I am so far:

ku1.jpg

The work on the hubs, I used brass to extended the axle width and install the studs:

ku2.jpg

Here's the deflection distance of the rear wheel:

ku3.jpg

And finally a size comparison with a 1/16 JS-2:

ku5.jpg

Any questions or comments appreciated.

Latest posts

Back