Tamiya Ducati 900

bdraper

Getting ready to paint the rims gold. A trick I use to adhere small parts to be painted is use Micro Liquidtape from Microscale Industries. I dip left over sprues into the liquidtape and let it dry. When it is dry, just stick the part onto the sprue. Liquidtape stays tacky when it is dry and the part removes easily when done.
IMG_20140302_11180_edit_1393784353273_zpshvr4dje6.jpg

Painted the rims with my trusty Sears (Badger) 200 airbrush with the cup attachment. I used Tamiya X-12 Gold Leaf acrylic paint. Mixed with X-20A thinner at about 50/50 in the cup then sprayed at about 25lbs. Was a bit to thin and probably should of thinned at 3:1. But it worked well.
IMG_20140302_13245_edit_1393791952765_zpsiglsorjq.jpg

Does anyone have a tip on how to protect chrome parts from getting scratched up when handling them? Maybe coating them with Future? Any thoughts?

;D bookmarked! this should be a good one!! not a lot of blokes doing bikes on here. I am curently working on a RD500LC V4 diorama for our South African National

Looking forward to this one!

Update on the build. Glued and sanded the seams for the fairing, rear fender and gas tank. Then put a couple coats of Tamiya primer. Had a major spill of liquid cement on my building surface and had to act quick so it didn't cement everything together. ;D It is all part of the process.
IMG_20140316_07352_edit_1394976956569_zps3q1jpx6s.jpg

I've got a few bike kits in the stash, so I'll be watching this one. Nice start.

Woo hoo, more bikes.
I use alclad clears exclusively over alclad metallics, I have found other clears can take away from the chrome finish.

output_zpsj5n3gmaf.jpg
Wanted to update this. Life got in the way and now getting back to it since it is winter. Just painted the cowling, tank & seat pan/fender. Next is painting the lower half of the front cowl green.

That bike is looking mighty impressive so far. Also like the tip on sprue and liquidtape. Thanks.

All finished. This was my third bike build. Decals were a bit challenging on this one. Think they might of been a little old. Micro Sol saved me.

Latest posts

Back