Tamiya 1/24 Ferrari Testarossa

The guy that runs Scale Finishes has a ton of Ferrari colors, unfortunately he doesn't ship to Canada (as there is no surface shipping any more, and his stuff is usually enamel or lacquer based...so no air shipping), and apparently he has shut down temporarily for family reasons.

However he probably had the best selection for factory colors out there. I have bought a few in the past (haven't used them yet however), but remember him having quite a few authentic Ferrari colors. All I have is 322 Rossa Corsa. Few '60-'70's muscle car colors, as well as McLaren Orange and the cool Aston Martin Green

I have some of the Zero Paints Rosso Corsa (pre 2004 F1) here but I will hold off on that for now... I thought I had a darker Tamiya red here but Im not finding it.
leaning one either Corsa Red using Tamiya X-7 or a candy apple red using Gunze clear red over silver or aluminium.

Decided on the interior first, went with a 3 tone interior, medium and dark tan and medium brown. Got that started today using Tamiya XF-60 dark yellow for the medium tan leather, Vallejo tan earth for the carpeted areas, and finally Tamiya XF-68 Nato brown for the brown leather of the console, dash and arm rests.
I flip-floped a few times for the exterior color, finally deciding on my first choice, Tamiya X-7 red, after just 2 coats its already a deep blood red. Will need a little wet sanding before I do my final coats...

Another screwup. Gonna step away from the workbench for a while. My patience is waring thin and my fails growing many.

Thanks for watching, good luck everyone.

Ouch, very unfortunate mate. It sucks to reach that point in a build, it really does - I feel you man.

Dangit, I'm already getting the urge to try again. Tomorrow is a day off for me, I may give her another go. Hoping I have enough Tamiya X-7 left tp paint a few coats on the TR body.

I wanna finish this but I dont think Ill make the deadline... :-[
Still having issues... Might stick to military subjects after this one.

You may not make deadline, but finish her, please.
Just run without the deadline. Take your time. Do her right

Oh man, sorry to hear about the problems. Like Q said, do her right. I hope you finish mate.

I'll get er done eventually, whats one more unfinished kit on the shelf.

My girlfreind suggested I put it aside and work on something different, she's a keeper. I wonder if I should listen to her.

Look on the bright side....if not finished for SMA, there is still 3 full weeks until the MASA show!

Doesn't look like my stock car is going to be finished for SMA either, but trying to wrap it up for MASA!! Gotta give Ron a run for his money!! LOL

Elm City Hobbies said:
Look on the bright side....if not finished for SMA, there is still 3 full weeks until the MASA show!

Doesn't look like my stock car is going to be finished for SMA either, but trying to wrap it up for MASA!! Gotta give Ron a run for his money!! LOL

Thats true, Still got a chance at the Nationals... Hoping to give Paul a run for his money in the best foreing car prize. I am now totally out of Tamiya X7 so I will have to pick out another color that will go with the 3-tone tan interior. Gonna try my MM Acryl Italian Red. Its the same shade I used on the 250TR.

edit: Dangit, the MM wouldnt bond to the Tamiya, gonna have to strip it down to the primer...again.

No prob with the Italian Red Scott, I have it here in MM Acryl, Model Flex and Zero Paints. I might experiment a bit with the Model Flex, I havent really gotten a chance to use it yet. Ill try it on a scrap model first to get the hang of it, if that dont work Ill switch to the Zero Paints.

I stripped the Testarossa again last night as well as the Fujimi 430 Challenge car that I screwed up last year. Will paint them both up at the same time.

I'm seeing red... :-X

Ferrari Red ;D

Zero paints for the win!

I might still have a shot at finishing this on time as long as I can get the clearcoat on tonight. Over the last week or so I tried the MM Acryl Italian Red which seems to have gone bad on me and Modelflex Gloss Red which I have never really had much success with... Having nothing to lose at this point so I tried my ZeroPaints Ferrari Formula 1 red... Went on like a charm, and is not only color matched to the actual paint used by Ferrari, its also a pretty darn close match to the Tamiya X-7 I started with so I didnt have to repaint the side view mirror which I forgot to strip.

Here's a pic from before things startd going south on this build.

008-2.jpg

It was at this point I had the first issue with the polishing wax, after it went on it seemed to soften the paint on the front hood. In hindsight I should have waited a few days for the paint to cure. I striped it down and re-primed. This time when I went to paint, I ended up spilling most of my thinned Tamiya red. It was over thinned anyways and would have run all over the place. I managed to get 2 thin coats of Tamiya on the body before the airbrush ran dry, I would have preferred one more coat but it would have to do. I then applied the model wax, this time skipping to the 2nd stage immediately hoping to avaid what happened on the first pass. Well within seconds, it actually removed the paint. (This is where we should have a head banging emoticon Scott)

001-4.jpg

So, once I cooled off, I brought it and my F430 Challeng kit which has had similar troubles to the kitchen sink so I could start stripping the paint again. I use no-name oven cleaner, works pretty good. It did remove a bit of the Mr Surfacer primer coat so I touched that up, and sanded it smooth.

006-2.jpg

And then this morning, the Zero Paints came out... This stuff isnt the easiest to use. its an acrylic, but its actually hotter than some spray lacquers so you cant apply it directly to plastic, has to go on a good smooth primer, the lighter the better. You want to mist on the first few coats, gradually building up the color. By then you should be able to start medium heavy spraying. And do not touch the model til it dries for a bit... I did in advertantly touch the side pod of my F190 and it left a thumb print molded into the plastic. The Zero Paints goes on with a satin finish, you have to use a clear coat to get the gloss. You can order them from Hiroboy in the UK, I imagine it may be hard to bring it into the USA. they do have a wide spectrum of colors, not only for F1, but for other racing aond sports cars also, even some 2 part paints like the Mica colors used a lot now.

007-3.jpg

008-3.jpg

If I can get it clear coated tonight, Im hoping I can finish the build by tomorrow evening, stay tuned...

Latest posts

Back