Tamiya 1/24 Ferrari Testarossa

Carsenault

After the great Mosquito Fail of 2012, I decided it was time for me to get back to basics. So I considered several kits in the stash and I kept coming back to this one, the 1/24 Tamiya Ferrari Testarossa. This is the exact same kit that brought me back into model building 22 years ago. back then I slapped it together using Testors tube glue, gloss red spray paint and a few of tins of Humbrol enamels. This time, I will built it with a few extra years of experience, hopefully Ill get it done in time. Ill be adding some seat belt detail and iginiton wiring, and if time permits, some coolant hoses and fuel lines too.

001.jpg

002.jpg

004.jpg

I have that one sitting on my shelf right now.
She should look good when you finish her

Pazienza Norm . 8)

Ok, time to get everyone up to speed on the Testarossa build, get it... up to speed. :p
I started off by priming the engine parts with Mr Surfacer 1000 then I used about 4 different shades from Alclad to get the tones I was after.

002-1.jpg

The cam covers and intake plenums got a few coats of hairspray before being painted over in Tamiya flat red, then I just used a toothpick to remove the red paint from the raised detail.

004-1.jpg

After a little detail painting and a few added details...

005.jpg

After experimenting with various ways of running the ignition wires, I decided on making myself a few jigs to get everything lined up prior to painting it, then it should be fairly easy to place on the engine. The wire is a solid core copper wire, not sure of the guage but its the exact same size as a #74 drill bit.

007.jpg

And a dry fit to see what would be visible inside the engine bay.

008.jpg

Thats all for now... Ciao!

Sweet work on the engine, looks clean enough to eat your dinner off (pasta of course)!

Good stuff! So, you picked off all the red paint of of the entire top aluminum air intakes, leaving that tiny little red bit of paint on the logo stamp on top? Just wondering... :)

Leighbo said:
Sweet work on the engine, looks clean enough to eat your dinner off (pasta of course)!

I was thinking a little Sicilian Pizza from the Pizza Corner in Halifax, but some good pasta would be good too.'

NecronautDrummer said:
Good stuff! So, you picked off all the red paint of of the entire top aluminum air intakes, leaving that tiny little red bit of paint on the logo stamp on top? Just wondering... :)

Wow, your eyes are better than mine, will fix that before I move on. There isnt much of a logo there, just a hint of a logo and where it should be. Im tempted to pick up a Pocher 1/8 Testarossa engine kit, think this would be much more fun to build and detail if it were 3 times as big.

The engine is looking really nice ,the plug leads look good to and will really add to it :)

Chris.

Thanks Guys... :D

A bit more done. over the last few days. I found the copper wire I used initially for the ignition wires was a bit overscaled, and not nearly pliable enough to work into place without scratching up the cam covers so I found a slightly thinner guage (28 AWG) copper wire that worked much better.

003-2.jpg

Heres the completed engine.

007-1.jpg

008-1.jpg

And the engine mounted to the subframe with exhaust system in place.

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

Thanks Guys, that engine was a lot of fun to build, typical Tamiya. I have the rolling chassis complete now and all that is left to do is the interior and body, if I could only decide on a color scheme.

narrowed it down to these:

Red with tan/dark brown interior
Bright red with black interior
White with white/black interior
Yellow with black interior
Silver with black interior
Black with tan/black interior.

Elm City Hobbies said:
How about Gunmetal Ext./Black Int.

Love that look on a Ferrari.

Here is a great webpage to look at the different Ferrari Ext. colors.

http://www.ferrari-collection.net/color/index.html

More than just one Ferrari Red!

Probably almost as many Ferrari Reds as there are Ferrari models. Nice link, that gives me a few other ideas too. If possible, Id like to do a period correct color, but a few of those newer colors look pretty cool liek the metalic reds. I was originally thinking Tamiya X-7 which is a near perfect match for Rubino Red.

hmms, I wonder how Gloss Sea Blue with a Tan interior would look?

Latest posts

Back