Tamiya 1:20 1993 Newman-Haas Indycar

Here is my progress so far in building the Indycar.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn7GHcL92ok[/youtube]

The instructions tell you to start on the engine, there is a seam on the main block, I did use glue putting the 2 halves together, as the snap-fit didn't lock properly, but as you progress with adding parts to the main block the seams disappear and no sanding is required.

The Ford logo & Cosworth lettering wasn't deep enough to intricately brush, so I just went with a good once over with silver & tidied up around the edges with the black.

Mounting the wheel rods was quite tricky, as they felt quite flimsy & applying too much pressure snapping the parts together could snap the rods, so I was really careful.

Also maneuvering the parts around the rods was quite tricky too, but they snapped into place once in.

I used a small drop of glue here & there, but mostly the snap-fit was really sturdy.

Paint was:-
Revell Aquacolor Steel (36191), Silver (36190), Black (36108), Brass (36192)
Army Painter Gun Metal Warpaint
Humbrol Acrylic Brown (26)
Halfords Acrylic Primer (500ml)

Im really happy on how the engine has turned out, now to start on the Indycar itself.

Cheers,

Wayne.

More progress on the Indycar.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4XHLLn-qnY[/youtube]

Now the engine is complete, its now time to start work on the Indycar itself.

I installed the rear cowling on the back of the engine after id primered it in Halfords white primer & sealed it with Humbrol Glosscote & put on the small decal on the wheel strut.

Then the bodywork started, which was mostly white , again with the white primer & the seat which was quite easy to put inside the monocoque.

I will be putting a driver figure for Nigel Mansell (once I find one thats not as much as I paid for the whole indycar kit)

I again did have trouble with mounting the wheel assemblies, which were again were very flimsy, especially the tie rod which had to be pushed through the monocoque, but I got there in the end.

Also snapping the competed monocoque onto the floor, which wouldnt 100% snap, but with 2 of my trigger clamps & some glue they did in the end.

Last but not least, the engine cowling & sidepods.

Im having a problem cutting the cowling from the sidepods, as my hacksaw blades are too thick, so if you guys could recommend a fine hobby saw that would cut through, that would be great.

I was looking at the Tamiya 74111 saw, but not sure.

Cheers,

Wayne.

A couple of the guys over at Britmodeller forums reckon I should score down the line with a craft knife.

Then keep scoring it until the cowling comes away from the sidepods.

Well, it worked.

Took me a while with the knife scoring, but I got there in there in the end.

Just gotta sand down the edges now.

Some more progress on the Indycar.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx_e021J_SM[/youtube]

With a tip from the guys over at Britmodeller & here on SMA forums, also from comments on my channel, ive managed to cut away the engine cowling away from the side pods using the back edge of my craft knife.

Using the craft knife to score away down the guideline, it eventually came free & with the slight bit of sanding I did, you would never think it was 1 piece originally.

So, thanks guys for your awesome tip.

After that I decaled the tyres, which were simply stuck on with the stickyness on the reverse side & they went on really easy.

I then started on the side pod decals, but then instantly realising I had to install those onto the bottom chassis before putting the long white backed sponsor decals, as they required the top & bottom halves to adhere to.

Also the completed rear wing & decals, then started on the engine cowling & left side side pod.

But so far the decaling is going really well

Cheers,

Wayne

Well its finale time, working on the Indycar a couple of hours everyday all this week.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdtHGTzt_go[/youtube]

11393252_918062444916859_4709807461452941921_n_zps7mzh5vam.jpg

10311779_918062524916851_8788645718548180655_n_zpsjrlrhdfu.jpg

11392880_918064021583368_3471916202657516487_n_zpshszz8eg6.jpg

17647_918063984916705_3174113677165234590_n_zpsnj9otcvn.jpg

11147884_918062604916843_1131235347172101480_n_zps3ucmmmbm.jpg

The last few decals have been put on, I had a small problem with the left side K-Mart decal & I had to trim it down, also had a problem with the right-side front wing International decal.

It decided to lift while I was brushing on the microsol & in the haste of trying to put it back while sol was working it broke up on me.

Luckily, the complete set of decals ive ordered from a model site in czechoslovakia that will include decals for the racesuit & helmet, I will have 2 replacements.

I have also drilled some more rivet holes & a couple of holes for the aerials (which started life as food bag ties) with my little mini drill.

The tyres ive also sanded a little with some black sandpaper to create a scrubbed set effect, but the mould lines are still showing (no matter how much I sand them)

Also, with its little brother to compare the two, I have had the Onyx die-cast Indycar since 1993.

All I have gotta do is (hopefully) get a driver figure from a toy fair at the Birmingham NEC on the 21st June, also hoping there will be model kit sellers there too.

But, im really happy on how the Indycar has turned out.

Cheers,

Wayne.

Latest posts

Back