SU-85 & SU-122 Tracks

wyoroy

For the more experienced armor guys, are the tracks for a T-34 the same as those for the SU-85 and SU-122? Both AFV and Friulmodel have T-34 tracks. My thinking is that since all three are the same chassis, I'm not a Russian armor expert, they should have the same tracks? Any help would be great.

for the Su-85 you need the T34/85 tracks and i would think they are the same for the 122

:) Hey Wyo, I feel the need to butt in… ;)
…
I can´t talk about Friuls because I´ve never put my hands on these, but in my “calistenics build” SU-122 I used Modelkasten´s SK-34… you can use it in SU-85, T34/85, SU-122 and in any T-34 in service from (I think) mid-1943 onwards.

P1010191.jpg

By the way, I know that the focus of the thread is not this but… ::) be careful Wyo ! the SU-122 has some serious flaws :p :p that should be corrected, maybe you are fully aware of them but here are the most evident flaws:

P1010187.jpg

P1010189.jpg

Take a good look @ this pic, Wyo:

P1010303.jpg

In that pic you still can see a pair of longitudinal prominent “sticks” in each side of the commander´s hatch… you have to eliminate them also.

Oh, and DO NOT buy Eduard´s SU-122 barrel: with this one Eduard got crap :p : IMHO it is not worth neither the money nor the work to fix the proper diameter of the bore.

Cheers, Wyo :)
RG

Thanks Spud.

RG, it seems some of the older Tamiya kits need the same attention, closing up the sides and filling the holes in the bottom. As for Russian armor, I know nothing about it so any help or advice when I get this going would be great. I'll look into the Modelkasten tracks, thanks.

wyoroy said:
... it seems some of the older Tamiya kits need the same attention, closing up the sides and filling the holes in the bottom. As for Russian armor, I know nothing about it so any help or advice when I get this going would be great. I'll look into the Modelkasten tracks, thanks.

Wyo, be forewarned! Modelkasten are beautiful in detail & scale... BUT really tricky & delicate... also... you can´t do enamel washings over them, you must go acrylics 100% of the time if you dont want to risk that the tiny plastic pins that keep together links get damaged... and you´ll need to make some dry testings with the two front drive wheels to get the proper shag on the tracks...

I would try at least one of the models with Friuls, Wyo... Modelkasten beautiful, yes - but next time I want to test Friuls...

never used the MK tracks yet but the fruils are dead easy to weather once you have teh brunishing fluid.

All you need do it drill out each hole for the pin and off you go. I can do a small sbs on putting tehm together if you are unsure about them,

Jelly your Too fussy :p get on with gluing and painting ;D

Lol then it's time to build a model like you did 20 years ago :D

Latest posts

Back