Storm on the horizon... Hasegawa 1/48 F-16I Sufa

Storm getting worse. I hate when a build fights me every step of the way...

I was so close to finishing the camo today but had a couple of issues. First off, the Windsor and Newton masking fluid had a reaction with the Gunze paint that I didnt expect. It actually ate through the Gunze paint yet the much softer Vallejo paint was not affected in the least. :-\
I decided to forge ahead and paint the light brown (Vallejo Tan-Earth) but in my haste I over thinned it and it ran a bit under the raised paper masks.

I removed all the masks, wiped away as much of the Vallejo Tan earth as I could before it set up and now I will let the whole thing cure for a week or so. Ill sand away some of the imperfections then touch up what I can at that point.

I also use winsor and newton mask, used it in tamiya paints and vallejo didn't react with it.
I didn't know it would it ate Gunze paint... is it lacquer type?

you can do this, Carsenault just give it some time and you will be on the way!!

It is an acrylic so Im a little baffled myself, GS Aqueos hobby color. Im not gonna let this one get to me but I will take a break for a bit. Im fairly confident I can fix this mess.

Those big shoulder Fuel tanks give this bird such a Mean look !!!

I always like that variant .... and I always wondered why the States never adopted it ???
I guess I need to read up on that !

This is going to be quite the Treat once all painted !!! Keep up the good work !

Take care ! and I can't hardly wait for your Next Update !

Carsenault said:
It is an acrylic so Im a little baffled myself, GS Aqueos hobby color. Im not gonna let this one get to me but I will take a break for a bit. Im fairly confident I can fix this mess.

I've seen your builds... I'm sure you can pull this off!!! :)

Eastrock said:
Carsenault said:

I've seen your builds... I'm sure you can pull this off!!! :)

Thanks ;D

Nice to see some resin! I have Academy's 1/32 Sufa (Huge!) and I hope to load it with AM parts :eek:. Yours is looking really nice, and those details are immaculate and I can't wait to see more

Thanks MA

I finally got the camouflage to the point where I am satisfied with it. The demarcation isnt quite as fine as Id like but considering the issues I had I am happy. At least I learned a few things along the way. I will need to do a bit of cleanup and pehaps a touch-up on the underside. I wasnt expecting to have the masking tape on for so long and it has left some residue in places and stained the paint in a few other areas. Plus a little of the topside paint crept under th masking tape near the tail so Ill nee dto clean that up too. The greys are all ModelMaster light and dark ghost gray enamels. The sand and dark tan are Vallejo Model Color and the pale green (RAF sky type "s") is Gunze Aqueos.

004-4.jpg

003-3.jpg

005-3.jpg

That camo's looking sweet.
I can imagine how difficult that was to get looking right

Well done fella ,That camo is looking very nice :)

Chris.

Landing gear bays and other details painted and Future clear coat/Windex Flash coat applied. Ready for decals now.

003-4.jpg

004-5.jpg

005-4.jpg

EXCELLENT work on that camo. Details looking great in the bays too.
What is this "Windex flash" coating you speak of?

Excellent job on the camo scheme, keep up the great work, can't wait to see this thing come together !!

Myke said:
EXCELLENT work on that camo. Details looking great in the bays too.
What is this "Windex flash" coating you speak of?

A Windex Flash coat is a technique I learned from a buddy of mine at arcair.com. Basically what you do is spray a light coat of pure windex through your a/b at about 15 psi onto a fresh coat of Future. Once the Future is dry to the touch but not yet cured you can go ahead and do the flash coat. The windex will thin the outer most layer of Windex and smooth it out a bit more. makes for a glossier finish.

That is interesting..., I always thought future finished a little rough, but always like using it. I'll have to give that a try sometime.
Cheers for that!

Another update, decals mostly done except for the ones that go on the LANTIRN nav and targeting pods, which I havent even painted yet. Will have those done soon.

001-3.jpg

003-5.jpg

004-6.jpg

Heres the loadout as it will be placed...

007-4.jpg

And a better look at the weapons stores, the 2 closest nes and the middle 2 are from the Skunk Models (Kinetic) IDF Weapons set, the 2 at the back are from the kit.

006-3.jpg

Latest posts

Back