sticking figures to base

ridgers22

metal up your ass
Does anyone know the best way to stick figures to a base? Superglue doesnt work :( any ideas?

I don't do many dioramas, but normally I drill a hole in the bottom of the foot, and a corresponding hole in the base, and then use super glue to attach a steel pin to the foot and then to the base. Seems to work.

yep, if the ca don't hold it still for you then use epoxy, but Scott's method is 99.99% sound

I'll third that suggestion. I don't know of any figure painter or diorama builder who doesn't pin his figures to the display stand or base. You need the pin to provide strength to resist shearing force, that is, force applied in a direction perpendicular to the join (like when a figure on a base is knocked over).

It's the same principle when assembling a figure made of something other than styrene. Styrene glues weld the parts, but for resin and metal figures, the glue doesn't melt the material and fuse it. The glues just form a bond between the parts. And super glue/CA glue isn't strong enough to withstand the force of a knock. So makers will mold parts with lugs and sockets, or if they don't the modeler will drill holes and pin the parts. Super glue/CA glue is OK, when there's a pin for strength.

Latest posts

Back