Started Tamiya Porsche 911 GT1 Le Mans Build

Dminor9

I am back into modeling after a 30-year hiatus. I have just finished a 1966 Revell Mustang and an AMT 1968 Z28 Camero to get back into the groove and see how bad my skills are after the 30-year break. My skills are not great, but no bad either. I bought and got a Tamiya Porsche 911 GT1 Le Mans kit. I started working it this afternoon. My biggest problem is getting used to the acrylic paint and still having to use a brush. I can no way get an AB. No room for one and I have lung conditions that pretty much won't allow it. Within 15 minutes of starting, I caught myself going over acrylic paint where it had puddled a bit. I know better from all the threads I have read here and made myself stop. I found that sprue cutters are a worthwhile investment. I found out that the Tamiya Extra Thin Cement Quick Setting is the fastest setting glue I have ever used. I glued the engine block together in about 5 seconds. Holding it together and spreading the glue in the crease where the parts met, by the time I got all around it, it was dried and solidly glued. It is going to take me a while to get used to the advances in modeling. I will be asking questions a lot during this build and not rush it. Thanks for listening to my long-winded post.

Glad you are back! I only recently started this hobby so I am super spoiled by Tamiya kits and modern tools.

I am back into modeling after a 30-year hiatus. I have just finished a 1966 Revell Mustang and an AMT 1968 Z28 Camero to get back into the groove and see how bad my skills are after the 30-year break. My skills are not great, but no bad either. I bought and got a Tamiya Porsche 911 GT1 Le Mans kit. I started working it this afternoon. My biggest problem is getting used to the acrylic paint and still having to use a brush. I can no way get an AB. No room for one and I have lung conditions that pretty much won't allow it. Within 15 minutes of starting, I caught myself going over acrylic paint where it had puddled a bit. I know better from all the threads I have read here and made myself stop. I found that sprue cutters are a worthwhile investment. I found out that the Tamiya Extra Thin Cement Quick Setting is the fastest setting glue I have ever used. I glued the engine block together in about 5 seconds. Holding it together and spreading the glue in the crease where the parts met, by the time I got all around it, it was dried and solidly glued. It is going to take me a while to get used to the advances in modeling. I will be asking questions a lot during this build and not rush it. Thanks for listening to my long-winded post.
Welcome to the forum and ask as many questions as you want. We all learn a bit from some of the replies. A vast wealth of knowledge here.
Pantherman

Here are some pics of the build progress. I purchased new build stuff. Tamiya acrylic paints, gold taklon brushes, Extra Thin Cement (quick drying), Tamiya thinner (X-20A), paint retarder, Mark Fit decal solution, etc. The build is a slow one. Definitely not for the beginner. I am so far pleased how it is turning out, considering I haven't built for over 30 years. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_0581.JPG
    IMG_0581.JPG
    267.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0582.JPG
    IMG_0582.JPG
    215 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0583.JPG
    IMG_0583.JPG
    205.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0584.JPG
    IMG_0584.JPG
    221.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0585.JPG
    IMG_0585.JPG
    276.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0588.JPG
    IMG_0588.JPG
    407.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0589.JPG
    IMG_0589.JPG
    303.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0591.JPG
    IMG_0591.JPG
    430.6 KB · Views: 8
Here are some pics of the build progress. I purchased new build stuff. Tamiya acrylic paints, gold taklon brushes, Extra Thin Cement (quick drying), Tamiya thinner (X-20A), paint retarder, Mark Fit decal solution, etc. The build is a slow one. Definitely not for the beginner. I am so far pleased how it is turning out, considering I haven't built for over 30 years. Thanks for looking.
Great progress build!

Thank you! There are completed build pics in "Automotive" thread " Photos of finished Porsche 911 GT1".

Latest posts

Back