Star Trek 1/1000 Enterprise - E Paper model

Thank you Patrick.

I laid the parts out on the bench and she will be about 25" long.

Jim

Good evening.
The past week I have been working still on cutting and installing the rest of the side skins for the raised pieces.
Minus a couple of days getting my bike out of storage and ready for the season.
It took awhile to install these skins on the 2nd raised piece. Glue a bit, let it dry, glue a bit more. In the mean time there were two filler details that had to be glued down to the bottom base.

Saucer%20Btm%2010_zpstbcf8opc.jpg

Saucer%20Btm%2011_zpszfomfqra.jpg

Saucer%20Btm%2012_zpsuar2j5fi.jpg

And then the inside skins for the 3rd piece. Again making sure the skins are beveled out.
Here are all the finished pieces ready to be installed.

Saucer%20Btm%2013_zpsqp6izpyv.jpg

Started the installation process. The outside ring went in first. Since the lower relief details fit into cutouts in the bottom base. These two were the easiest to install, they sort of lock into place. The unit was then placed upside down on the bench and left to dry under weight, to keep them flat while they dried.
The middle one was a little more trickier, as had to make sure it was aligned all around as well with the 3rd piece. Also left to dry under weight. When the 2nd piece dried, the 3rd piece was glued in place, clamped down at the back and weight on the front till dry.

Saucer%20Btm%2014_zpszo9ivymv.jpg

After they all dried it was time to install the surface details, phaser banks, and all those escape pods etc.

Saucer%20Btm%2015_zpsiatvksnw.jpg

Here are some views of the finished saucer bottom.

Saucer%20Btm%2016_zpsd3grk1ga.jpg

Saucer%20Btm%2017_zpsdbgvss9e.jpg

Saucer%20Btm%2018_zpslwt5szko.jpg

This completes the bottom for now.
On to the top of the saucer.
Tonight I started leveling the ribs for side skins of the dish.
This is where I am at tonight.

Thank you for following.
Questions and comments welcome.

Jim

Sorry for the slow posts.
With the bottom of the saucer finished, it was time to start on the top.
The first thing that had to be done was the installation of the outer edge of the saucer. This is also a needed structure to start attaching the outer skin.
First the rib ends had to be sanded down to a height of 1.5mm for the edge strip.
Next the filler piece on the aft of the saucer was installed. When dried then the edge strip was then applied, first at midships where the hull folds in then the piece towards aft, then the piece towards the bow. This was repeated on the other side of the hull.
With the edge done, it was time to start on the outer ring of the top skin. Again starting with the piece a midships, then working outward towards the aft, then towards the bow. Installing these takes awhile. They are being glued in place at only one rib section at a time. Inorder to keep control over that piece of skin.
This is the outer ring completed.

Saucer%20Top%201_zps2kw8gbnp.jpg

Next was to start on the second ring.

Saucer%20Top%202_zpsuv9kkivi.jpg

Again it is to start a midships and work towards aft, one rib at a time.

Saucer%20Top%203_zpsjlenvffi.jpg

Then the piece towards the bow.
This is the completed 2nd row.

Saucer%20Top%204_zpsfvbyoant.jpg

We repeat the process with the 3rd ring.

Saucer%20Top%205_zpsrfkb23id.jpg

Saucer%20Top%206_zpsgogixjmc.jpg

Saucer%20Top%207_zpsbukrafga.jpg

I will install those escape pods and details, after the 4th ring is done. I need this ring to be flat, to keep the 4th ring level with the 3rd.

I am now starting on the 4th ring.

Saucer%20Top%208_zpsxwfcm6k6.jpg

This is where I am at, at this moment.

Thank you for following.

Jim

I'm definitely seeing this as a well designed kit more and more
interesting to see how the saucer is coming together

Good evening.
Update.
Working on more of the skins for the top of the saucer.
Finished installing the 4th ring.

Saucer%20Top%209_zpsqw5wksxw.jpg

Saucer%20Top%2010_zpszewhn75t.jpg

The next pieces do not circumnavigate the saucer, so I will be using mostly their part numbers going forward.
The next part will be skin 23. Since this part is at a different angle than the previous ring, and to keep it aligned with the ribs toward the centre. I used a lap joint here, rather than an edge joint. I think it looks better, since it is a more defined edge.

Saucer%20Top%2011_zpsgossxvrf.jpg

After skin 23 dried, skin 27 was then installed. Again another change in angle, but did allow for an edge glue.
Because of this angle could not use any clamps and had to manually level the edges between the ribs, till the glue set.

Saucer%20Top%2012_zpsroitf8de.jpg

Saucer%20Top%2013_zpstyukjfbx.jpg

After another upper skin is attached, I should be able to install some of the other details.

Thank you for following.

Jim

Latest posts

Back