Snow in Houston!!!

Grendels

I thought that this little video might cheer up those to the north of me. This is what I am going through with some of the people I met right now. Panic because it is going to SNOW!! Keep in mind that on Monday it was 77F here or 25C for you metric types......

Snow In Houston

lol! i remember one time me and my grandpa went to Kentucky, and it was about to snow, everyone started to panic, me and my grandpa shrugged, and said "were from Michigan." and some guy looked at us like "that figures." just because it might snow they closed down school for two entire days, me and my grandpa where frustrated because we where trying to have a vacation in Kentucky, and roads where closing down because there was going to be a little snow XD in order for our schools to close there has to be a blizzard, or it must be -35F degrees outside! i remember my senior year it was -25F and i was standing at the bus stop! about 50 degrees below freezing.

but yea i can understand, because you guys are used to what we consider late spring early summer weather during winter. we ourselves had a major snow storm, i may get pictures for you! the snow had literally covered all my moms steps on the back porch, the doors to my grandpas garage this morning where berried about 2 or 3 feet in snow, some of the drifts reached about 3 feet or knee height.. one winter when my mom was a little girl, the snow got so deep it berried cars! and blocked doors from opening!

Problem is....not far from the truth....place like Houston or Dallas, a 1/4" of snow would bring the city to a stand still, and people would be going out of their minds.

Must be making the 2012 end of the world conspiracy theorists go ape doo doo.

I just laugh at them. My students have been complaining that it hasn't snowed, which means that they have to go to school. Everyone is hoping for a snow day tomorrow. I have the day off, so I don't really care.

I grew up in Colorado, so I have seen snow before, driven on ice, etc. But most people here have not seen it. When the roads ice up, it is very dangerous out. Mainly because no one knows how to deal with it. There are accidents everywhere......

Now this summer when it is 110 out at 95% humidity, I will want to come visit all of you. We are use to heat, not cold.

I posted the video because I thought it was funny. That is exactly how some behave here.

I grew up in Edmonton, sometimes I lose touch when people complain about snow. We don't get alot of snow per snow fall, but it does stay basically below freezing for about 4 or five months, so it accumulates. My sons can not shovel snow any more outside because they can not heave the snow high enough. January is usually our coldest month with temperatures getting typically down around -20 degree C, and a week long cold snap in the -30 to -40 degree C range - wind chill can make it seem even colder. It's dry and bitter.

That being said, put me in a wet maritime or great lake cold and I freeze to death. Coldest I ever felt was in a Fan Francisco fog. Put me in the sun & humidity and I melt, I have no idea how people can live in those areas. I guess you just acclimatize, learn and get used to the conditions

I love it when people move here and ask what a block heater is.

That was hilarious!

I live in the north east, not quite as high up there as Scott but not too far below him either. We have been getting slammed with snow storms lately. Although I don't really mind, snow helps to pay my bills. ;D

Check out the video. Sorry it's so crappy but I used my cellphone camera...

Plowing

ROTFLMAO!!!

now that i have high speed i watched that video, and i laughed so hard, only 37 degrees, to cancel school here it would have to be -37 degrees ROTFLMAO!!!!

ScaleModelMadman said:
That was hilarious!

I live in the north east, not quite as high up there as Scott but not too far below him either. We have been getting slammed with snow storms lately. Although I don't really mind, snow helps to pay my bills. ;D

Plowing

thats sweet bud, i like your choice of music XD

We did get some snow and as predicted it did shut everything down. Here are some photos to show you just how much:

20110204_13.jpg
20110204_11.jpg
20110204_10.jpg

I took them late at night with a very long exposure. A friend and I played around with it hence the "ghosting"

It still looks pretty much the same outside. Hopefully everyone up north gets a good laugh out of it!!!

Everything is relative I guess. As for here, most people are forced to shovel their rooftops due to fear that the weight of snow on it will cause structural damage. Seriously.

ScaleModelMadman said:
That was hilarious!

Plowing

I'm not far from you...I can attest to the insanity of this winter. Too much snow and not enough room for it all. I have a pile at the end of my driveway that looks like a mini Mt. Everest. The Tuesday/Wednesday thing this week, with the really wet heavy stuff, was brutal. I had to climb up on my porch roof and shovel the stuff off after hearing the horror stories of roof collapses. Spring won't be here soon enough.

ScaleModelMadman said:
That was hilarious!

Pretty good video for a cell phone and late at night!!

Scott Girvan said:
Everything is relative I guess. As for here, most people are forced to shovel their rooftops due to fear that the weight of snow on it will cause structural damage. Seriously.

We currently had a corner of a buildings roof collapse due to snow here in the city this year.

Scott Girvan said:

I have a degree in structural engineering and I remember talking about this when we were discussing roof loads. One way to combat it is to make a pretty steep roof line. They would not have done that in the past because it was expensive. And it isn't practical on large commercial buildings.

thats what i would guess to do, not only does it increase the structural integrity of your roof, but it also makes it harder for the snow to stick, the downside of a high angled roof, is that it may be harder to work on.

LOL, that is the problem with here. It never snows. No one knows how to handle it.

We actually had 3 roofs collapse over this past weekend. I say 'we' - I mean locals, not me.

Scott Girvan said:
We actually had 3 roofs collapse over this past weekend. I say 'we' - I mean locals, not me.

not many roofs fall in Michigan, shoveling your driveway must be fun, and a snow day for your kids must be a blizzard XD

Latest posts

Back