Sharpie markers, do you use them?

Glorfindel

I ran into Staples this morning and had passed these down the pen isle. I've used the Metallic Silver before to simulate chip marks and make piping pop but I've never seen the Metallic Gold before. Anyone ever use Sharpies, the other colors I mean, for modeling? I also noticed they had an Oil based set of Sharpies. Don't know if there's an advantage or not in using these but I would wrongly assume they have a longer drying time then the regular Sharpies.

[attachment deleted by admin]

I use Black Sharpies to color medical tape for belts. Silver to fix chrome parts where the chrome is removed when you clip the part off the sprue.

I have honestly never used any type of pen to do modeling with. I could definitely see how black, silver, and gold could come in handy.

I've used a black one in the past for windows, or for eyelashes on figures. Got to be careful with it, though. Can get runny if you're too quick or thick with the sealer coat.

I use the OIL base paint marker for preshading panel lines works like a charm. But dont do it with a normal sharpi cause the ink will bleed trough the paint and make a mess

Neo said:
I use the OIL base paint marker for preshading panel lines works like a charm. But dont do it with a normal sharpi cause the ink will bleed trough the paint and make a mess

Really? Wow, so I'm wondering Neo if you draw the line first with the marker you then use a brush and soften it to make it blend in? I've done that with regular Sharpies on dark finishes to get the preshading to be visible. Do the Oil pens take longer to set?

I also use Real touch markers for this effect. You have the colour markers and the blending markers with which you can fade and streak. For small things they are very handy but for larger jobs the good old brush is better.

Neo said:

Is there a difference between the regular Gold and Silver sharpie then the Metallic Gold and Silver Sharpie ? I have no clue and havent played with either of the four but picked all four of them up the other day because I had some extra cash and they were on clearance for some reason at Wally world lol. Figured I couldnt go wrong with picking all four of them up lol. If nothing else they will sit in the pencil/pen/marker cup sitting on the work bench ha ha.

I dont see much difference after researching in either of the Parisma/Pilot color pens verses the fine point sharpies.

Latest posts

Back