Scratch build help

Fork Virus

I got a riddle for you addicts, How do you take a screen shot (size: 1280x641) of AAV drawing like the one below and print them out at 1/35 scale? I'm going the scratch build the current AAV-7 turret for a LVTP-7 build.
aav-7a1.jpg

you might be able to find scale drawing online, printing it to scale would most likely be difficult

Ahha! Time to employ my paper modeling re-sizing skills!

Oh wait....

I don't have any ???

No wait, I can help! Alrighty, scaling is generally a simple process. Normally I don't use a scale model calculator, but you should use one for this to make life easier and such. I forget the site name, but if you google 'Stephen Loftus scale model calculator' or something to that effect, you should get a scale calculator device.

Then, print out the drawing you have, and measure the length. Using the length of the drawing and the length of the actual vehicle, you can calculate what scale the drawing is in. So enter both units into the scale calculator and you'll get more likely, an odd scale - round the units as you please.

Alright, now to play some hypotheticals. Say the drawings were at... 1/67 scale or something. Note this situation is for scales below 1/35.

What you'll want to do is, take the scale of the drawings, then divide it by the intended scale:

e.g.

For going from smaller to larger scale:

67/35 yields about 1.9. But you need this in a percentage form, so it will be 190%

I believe the value should make sense, since you're scaling up from a smaller scale to a larger scale, the value should be a factor greater than 1 (100%). After calculating this amount, keep it in mind for the next step.

But say your drawing is at... 1/24, or any other scale larger than the intended 1/35 scale. You'll want to scale down. So to do that, take the scale of the drawings, divided by the intended scale.

e.g.

For going from larger to smaller scale:

24/35 yields about 0.69. But you need this also in percentage form, so it'll be 69%.

This value should also make sense, since you're scaling from a larger to a smaller scale, the value should
be less than 1% (less than 100%). After calculating, keep this value for later.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Now with those two values at hand, you'll want to have the scale drawings on some sort of electronic copy. I extremely suggest doing your printing through a PDF type of reader, or high end graphics programs etc, etc. Why? Well, you need to be able to access the 'print to scale', or 'print' by a certain percentage option. I find that
Adobe PDF does this well. But, you'll also need a proper printer, one that supports these options. Do look around your printer options to verify this.

Then, you'll want to print exactly as such,

Print ---> Page Setup (this option varies on a case to case basis) ----> Scaled (find the option that indicates printing at a specific scale).

Now you should be able to enter the scale you want, so enter the percentage value in that area. It'll probably indicate that by default you're printing at 100%, but remember you'll want to vary this amount to get the right scale.

You'll probably need to have some really long paper for scale drawings to print properly, and a relatively good printer. I mean, you can do it with regular A4 or letter paper, but you may have to enable print options that allow you to continue prints on different pages.

Otherwise, you might be better off finding a publication with said scale drawings.

Fruit said:
Ahha! Time to employ my paper modeling re-sizing skills!

OK. I got through the scaling issues. The next hurdle is figure out the materials I need to make the turret. I got some styrene sheets. My first idea was to stack the sheets together, that may take a lot more sheets. Second would be to take the turret from the original kit and mod it. Third, use blocks of polyurethane foam and carve it. Forth, use clay, maybe miliputty rough and smooth or magic sculpt. I'm flushed with so many materials, trying to find a solution that makes sense.

Oh wait....

I don't have any ???

No wait, I can help! Alrighty, scaling is generally a simple process. Normally I don't use a scale model calculator, but you should use one for this to make life easier and such. I forget the site name, but if you google 'Stephen Loftus scale model calculator' or something to that effect, you should get a scale calculator device.

Then, print out the drawing you have, and measure the length. Using the length of the drawing and the length of the actual vehicle, you can calculate what scale the drawing is in. So enter both units into the scale calculator and you'll get more likely, an odd scale - round the units as you please.

Alright, now to play some hypotheticals. Say the drawings were at... 1/67 scale or something. Note this situation is for scales below 1/35.

What you'll want to do is, take the scale of the drawings, then divide it by the intended scale:

e.g.

For going from smaller to larger scale:

67/35 yields about 1.9. But you need this in a percentage form, so it will be 190%

I believe the value should make sense, since you're scaling up from a smaller scale to a larger scale, the value should be a factor greater than 1 (100%). After calculating this amount, keep it in mind for the next step.

But say your drawing is at... 1/24, or any other scale larger than the intended 1/35 scale. You'll want to scale down. So to do that, take the scale of the drawings, divided by the intended scale.

e.g.

For going from larger to smaller scale:

24/35 yields about 0.69. But you need this also in percentage form, so it'll be 69%.

This value should also make sense, since you're scaling from a larger to a smaller scale, the value should
be less than 1% (less than 100%). After calculating, keep this value for later.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Now with those two values at hand, you'll want to have the scale drawings on some sort of electronic copy. I extremely suggest doing your printing through a PDF type of reader, or high end graphics programs etc, etc. Why? Well, you need to be able to access the 'print to scale', or 'print' by a certain percentage option. I find that
Adobe PDF does this well. But, you'll also need a proper printer, one that supports these options. Do look around your printer options to verify this.

Then, you'll want to print exactly as such,

Print ---> Page Setup (this option varies on a case to case basis) ----> Scaled (find the option that indicates printing at a specific scale).

Now you should be able to enter the scale you want, so enter the percentage value in that area. It'll probably indicate that by default you're printing at 100%, but remember you'll want to vary this amount to get the right scale.

You'll probably need to have some really long paper for scale drawings to print properly, and a relatively good printer. I mean, you can do it with regular A4 or letter paper, but you may have to enable print options that allow you to continue prints on different pages.

Otherwise, you might be better off finding a publication with said scale drawings.

Latest posts

Back