Rookie Jr - 1/72 Airfix Spitfire

Darkblade88

If it's styrene we can build it
Reaction score
Which camo scheme is Jake doing ? It's nice he's taking his time with it

rookie

This is not a toy
Reaction score
Some colour on. I bought jake some of the Vallejo air paints for this. Nice stuff

He's keen to do a camo pattern, I'm thinking rolling out blue tak and then masking off the brown will be the easiest way for him ...?? Ideas welcome.

rookie

This is not a toy
Reaction score
And the fun begins :)

Had a great time rolling out the blue tack and making the camo scheme

I must say the end result looks pretty good, should have bought a lighter shade of brown but anyhoo.

The rate he's going he will finish his BSC entry before both of his old mans... ???

Theapplechap

Reaction score
Astonishing work for his age. The airbrushing of the camo is excellent.

If no ones already mentioned it, it is definitely one of Airfix's new ones as in has lovely recessed lines rather than the nasty old raised detail. Although its out of scale, I don't think the lines are too bad as if you make them too small, they go invisible at this scale. If you want to reduce then, just give the plane a good sand over when its together until they almost disappear, then rescribe with a thin scriber, like the cheap Trumpeter one. But I'm sure Dad already knows this!

I've got similarly big panel lines on my Airfix Canberra build as it came from a similar time. I'm keeping my fingers crossed as I've left them too so I'll see how it goes.

Cannot wait to see the spit with its decals on. Should look brilliant. Well done young man

Alan - TheAppleChap

Quaralane

Reaction score
Spit's looking very nice. Liking the camo scheme myself

rookie

This is not a toy
Reaction score
Got some decaling done ;D

Not all the maintenance tags went on , but he did an awesome job with the decals. They sat down really nice with about 4 applications of sol.

Time permitting he will get some semi gloss clear on it tomorrow, wheels and antenna painted and she's nearly done !

Grendels

Reaction score
Nice, and love the look of concentration on his face as he works on it.

Bizarre

Reaction score
Great camo and the decals look excellent! I am very happy for your son that he enjoys modelling in that early age!

rookie

This is not a toy
Reaction score
Finishing touches.....

And done!!! ;D

I'm really proud of jake and the patience he showed putting this one together. My involvement was limited to setting up the AB and mixing paints etc ( and cleaning the bloody thing too ! ). For a kit that was under 10 bucks it came out very nice , totally changed my opinion of Airfix products.

Time permitting I will try and take some better pics but my set up is limited to a piece of white card and a chair...

Thanks for all the comments Jake got a kick out of all the encouragement from you guys :)

Biskup

Reaction score
I must say I'm really impressed a clean and crisp work.
GREAT JOB all around :)

Dark Kyp

Reaction score
It looks good as new, really nice job on that one congrat's ;)

rookie

This is not a toy
Reaction score
Thanks guys, jake is stoked with the comments, it's in the display case now with his other builds 8)

BTW the pilot didn't make it in to the model, bit of a shame , but he couldn't squeeze it in after closing it up.

LrdSatyr8

Reaction score
Looks like we got ourselves some new competition fellas. Jake... that plane came out looking fantastic... you did a wonderful job and we can tell you put alot of hard work into it. The weathering is top notch bro! Great job and well done! Can't wait to see what else you build in the future!