[REVISITED] Spitfire Down!

Re: [WIP] Spitfire Down! Spitfire Down!

I'd go large, but take/ cut the right hand side of the base down by 4 inches, IMO it just looks a tad too long. How about on the left hand side where the horse is making it a ploughed field, ie horse and farmer ploughing . Maybe add a line of telegraph poles and wire following the road and the plane could have severed the wires on crashing, with a few chaps looking at or repairing the wires. Anyhow starting to ramble now Buddy, but I'd go large.

Not a HLJ picture....came off of the Tamiya USA website, and never had a problem doing it before......shows up on mine, even if I log out.

I like idea behind the larger scene and it would look very impressive, but the smaller scene looks more neater/tidy.
Also do you have the room. :D

I would go medium. Going left to right, no horse and field just hedgrow, road, fence, medium field with spitfire and tilly. Ha ha between safwentay, scalemodelmadman on YT and me this sounds like Goldilocks. : ) I like the broken trough gate. Are you going to show some torn up sod and skid marks? Maybe take the spitfire of kilter from the skid marks as if one of the wing tips caught and spun it.

Just watched the Tilly video......looking good!!!

Xuron tools are awesome....lots of times can't keep them in stock!

The blue handled ones you used to cut the brass rod.....they are actually Photo-etch shears, but can probably be used for anything, and for anyone that gets a set, watch out, as they are very sharp. When cutting parts off of PE frets......like a hot knife going through butter.

Here is a pic of a Tilly that was taken at the 2010 War and Peace show in the UK last month, was taken by Robert Lafreniere, a local member of CAMS as he was on vacation.

image011-vi.jpg

Whether it is accurate or a reproduction (as it does have RN for Royal Navy on the door and not RAF), looks pretty convincing, and I think you got the color on your Tilly bang on!

Great video Scott, would not worry to much about the color, due to rationing, things like paint were in very short supply. Blue was one of those color available during rationing so it is entirely LIKELY that the tilly would have been blue.

Looks good Scott - just watched the video - thumbs up. :)

How dare you paint a Tilly blue, what's wrong with you!!!! Kidding of course. Your reasoning makes perfect sense. The blue will pop more against the sea of yellow much more than grey. The colours of the plane will already be dull earthtones.

I myself like to get things fairly factual when building. However if it were possible that someone may have done it differently, than that is enough excuse for me to do it as such. Jeep has already given the likely probability that the Tilly could in fact have been painted blue. Pink with yellow stripes would be much more unlikely, unless of course this Spitfire travelled through time and landed in the 60's. :p

I like watching the videos. I'm glad you don't take yourself too seriously.

Thanks all. I appreciate the feedback. Keeps me pumped up. It's funny, but when I tape the show it's like I'm talking to you.All of you. Individually but at the same time. Like a space warp or something.

If you heard all the junk that rolls around my head, you wouldn't take me too seriously either. LOL.

Blue Tilly's rule!!! Killer show!! the chipmunk voice had me rolling. I wouldn't mind a whole video like that ;) I was once afraid of pigment powders, now I cant wait to pick some up. Great job, Scott.

Thanks. Pigments are great, easy to use and very forgiving. Get some today! You won't regret it.

That Tilly turned out really good.
Can't wait to see the Spitfire

Great vid! i really needed that, thanks!
A couple of things:
1. Your choice of timeline in September is a good choice. If my history is correct, September 15th was one of the (if not THEE) biggest battles and the day that most most historians consider the day ther Germans lost the Battle of Britain.
2. Your building for fun bit (tirade :) ) was great. I've been getting worked up about a few things with my models and you struck the nerve and released the tension. Thanks so much!

Hey nice tilly Scott. 8)
Your going in the right direction with the weather too,at the moment here we have had rain nearly every day since the begining of august so muddy is good,might have been muddier during WWII as they didnt have an issue with global warming back then. ???

Ive seen fields as muddy as this in wales during september.

http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/static.panoramio.com/photos/original/7070932.jpg
http://s0.geograph.org.uk/photos/28/80/288062_9c0adf42.jpg
http://www.chippenhamharriers.co.uk/organised_races/slaughterford/course/images/large/Imgp3674.jpg
http://www.yourlocalweb.co.uk/images/pictures/13/19/muddy-field-and-farm-129717.jpg
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_x5aOqwilXUo/RbUtu_z_MrI/AAAAAAAADHc/gHL6PaAADoY/PenicuikRoslin07.jpg

Java, you are the reference KING! Great reference for the horse too. Thanks.

Very nice job on the tilly , i like the chain on the tailgate...more detail the better the model.!! :)

Got the basecoat on the Spitfire. Camo is up next.

Friends, I need some help.

I'm trying to weather the crashed Spitfire and I'm getting stressed about the order of operations. As far as I see it I need to/want to:

Apply oil filters to fade paint randomly
Apply overall wash as per normal wear and tear
Chipped paint effects as per normal wear
Exhaust stains
General streaking and grime

PLUS CRASH DAMAGE WEATHERING which includes
Chipped paint
Ground debris
Dirt, mud and 'I just smashed into the planet' stuff

Obviously the crash damage is last. My main concern is the 'normal' weathering. Should I chip paint, then wash and weather or wash first, chip second etc....

Thanks for your help.

Latest posts

Back