[REVISITED] Spitfire Down!

Re: [WIP] Spitfire Down! Spitfire Down!

hay scott! whats up, what variant of spit are you working with, if you ever need a hand, just send me a email, i know a little about fighters, and Areal combat.

so what variant of spit are you using?

Scott Girvan said:
Cool. Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll go big or go home.

Does anyone know if the top engine panels on the MK1 come off in one big piece or 2 pieces (left and right)? - I can't find good reference for that anywhere.

Hay scott, i have no idea, but since its a spitfire crashed, you could have the engine cowling so it came off... i mean sometimes fighters would have there engines and engine mounts and engine cowlings so badly damaged they would fall off!!!

Gonna finish this build. Not thrilled, looking back at the paint, but hopefully some AK to the rescue!

Tonight I painted the prop and reattached some pieces of the Spitfire that had broken off in storage. I then sponged out some of the stark 'silver' I had added and finally cut some foam. Layout is 5 1/2" x 9 1/2". Tried to keep this as concise as I can but still have enough space to breathe. The black marked area will be turned up ground, the other, rough field.

Feel free to offer suggestions on how I can improve it...not gonna spend much more time on this...cranking it out. I think 2 years is long enough. ???

3911.jpg

3912.jpg

3913.jpg

3914.jpg

It just occurred to me that the RAF dude wouldn't attempt a rescue over that long back edge of the wing...the pilot would likely slide down the wing. Therefore that layout isn't right.

How about this instead? - and I can remove another inch or so...shown in red.

3915.jpg

3916.jpg

3917.jpg

Wow , you're making me want to crack open my Spit build now ! .....for once I can blame someone else ;D

That will be a good looking dio when its finished Scott .Just a few thoughts ....The way the aircraft is sitting it looks like an undercarriage leg broke when trying to land ,if thats the case as soon as the wing touched ground the aircraft would spin round ,so I wouldnt put a lot of turned up earth behind it ,maybe a just a little ,imagine the aircraft turning in a circle from the wing tip . Also ,dont put silver chipping on the control surfaces ,I think that one has fabric covered rudder ,elevators & ailerons ;) ....Looking forward to the finish .

The second layout does look better :)

Chris.

haha i think this was the first you tube vid i saw of you building :) looking forward to seeing this get finished

Cool Chris. Thanks. So...then...I should replace my silver chipping with..? what color, just the green/brown?

And while I've got you on the line...let's work this out - if you don't mind.

In the pic below. Yellow arrow is direction of plane. Red 'X' marks where the wheel broke and spun the Spit around (light green path) That lower wing would carve in...nose and under place (again green) but remainder is not chewed up.

True?

3918.jpg

And I can again shorten the base, shown in black/purple - saving ground work. Could probably pull the Tilly a bit closer too.

Yeah ,that sounds about right Scott ,there would probably be a bit of a gouge from the wheel still on the aircraft too ,where its been forced to turn ....hope Im not trying to be too picky ,just trying to help . For the fabric area's ...yeah just the camo ,it would be a lighter colour on the inside of the fabfric ,but I dont think you are going to show the inside so it dont really matter . Oh ...and dont turn up the ground where the wing is'nt in contact with the ground ;)

Chris.

SCOTT ,

I'm glad to see ya back on this one !! I remember seein this Spit in th Battle of Britain (GB) & th Tilley .... Gald your back on it !! I'm lookin forward to seein this to completion !!

\m/

Scott ! The rear control surfaces of the Spitfire are fabric. just go easy on the Silver paint on those surfaces...

IMG_3237.jpg

Take care my Man !

Happy that you are ready to complete this Dio !

later !

love it i especially like the bullet damage to the side cant wait to see the end product

geegad

Looking good, Scott. Once you settle on a final composition, finishing this dio should go really fast.
Adding my 2 cents to the dicussion......the wing tip should almost be burried in the ground and the wheel
path show a furrow in the ground along its arc of path. Best wishes to you and your project. Bill

Thanks guys. I hope to get back to this soon. Simply have another project on my plate right now that needs getting done.

Really glad to hear your revisting this lovely dio again ;D

looking forward to seeing more in the future,

cheers,

shane

This is looking pretty cool. The Tilly looks just right. I know your busy at the moment with other projects but I just caught up on this. Definately worth finishing and I look forward to it when you do.

Great to see you picking the spitfire up again . err... just one thing though , I was looking at your build then jump onto google images . Do you think that there would be any landing gear left after a ditch like that?

It really depends on how hard and fast the aircraft hit the ground . If the pilot just coasted it in ,then yes it is possible just one leg collapsed if there was already a problem with it ....ie battle damage . So yes ,it is possible ,there is many a pic in good ww2 aircraft books showing that too :)

Chris.

Latest posts

Back