[REVISITED] Spitfire Down!

Re: [WAIP] Spitfire Down! Spitfire Down!

java said:
No ,get it right we would charge into battle on sheep but they kept catching on fire.

I was gonna follow suit with you and Scott and mention "Down here in the US in Texas" and then mention sheep but then I thought better of it. We need to keep it clean right? lol

So, I've been looking high and low for a 1:48 or O scale hay wagon. I found and ordered horses but no wagon. Found some laser cut ones but they're too flat.

If you have nothing to do ;) and feel like flexing your Google feel free.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350372964994&rvr_id=&crlp=1_263602_263622&UA=WXF%3F&GUID=89ea76b31280a0b58316c176ffdcc204&itemid=350372964994&ff4=263602_263622

http://compare.ebay.com/like/350372117207?ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&rvr_id=&crlp=1_263602_263632&UA=WXF%3F&GUID=89ea76b31280a0b58316c176ffdcc204&itemid=350372117207&ff4=263602_263632

http://www.mountainblueminiatures.com/pages/transportation.htm

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/jor/jor107.htm

Any those work? Check the last link for hobbylinc.com :) That seems to have some other types

Ya know a hay wagon would probably be easy to scratch build (basal wood?) and just bash in the wheels from a civil war cannon.

True. That's the first idea for sure. I need to find some wheels in a toy store or something.

Spent the last hour and a bit looking for ways to model hedgerows er... trees. Lots of stuff out there online - wire trees.

Feel free to post links for this here too. ;)

DK - I missed your links. Those first two - that's the guy I just bought the horses from - see attachment.
Problem with those wagons is that they are 1/8" laser cut wood. Flat wheels. Not too great looking. Horses look nice though IMO.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Scott Girvan said:
DK - I missed your links. Those first two - that's the guy I just bought the horses from - see attachment.
Problem with those wagons is that they are 1/8" laser cut wood. Flat wheels. Not too great looking. Horses look nice though IMO.

OHHH ok well you must have hit the same links I did then lol What did those hay wagons look like during BoB?

Java posted this on page 6 of this thread. Worth taking a look through the entire video. TONS of great reference. This entire thread is turning into great reference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcyzAIkMwrg

OH I saw some of that. I was looking for corn though. lol I saw the horse this time. A simple flat bed wagon. You should probably just scratch it, looks really easy to make. Are you going to have massive hay on top of it? That would make it even easier.

Yeah, massive hay. A field that's been cut and bound. The bales will be stooked (not sure if that's spelled right. Pronounced stUked like puked.) And then the wagon will be quite full of the stooked bales.

I think I can make wagon wheels by getting some dowel (39 scale inches works out to 2cm diameter) and then boring it out to make a wheel. Cut off for the proper width and possible wrap with pop can tin for the metal 'tread'. Smaller dowel for the hub and then either more dowel for the spokes or plastic. I could use toothpicks and turn them in my dremel to reduce the diameter of those.

Then a simple frame, axle, sidewalls and stuff with Balsa or Bass wood. I have some bass wood strips here. So yeah, it's doable. And cheap. THe part that connects to the horse (i'll have to find the term for that) will be wood, shaped to have the curve either by steam bending it or cutting square profile/sanding round.

Should be fun and a nice challenge being wood and all.

The correct term for a hay wagon in England is a hay wain. History is fun eh?

Oh and there's a forum for this stuff: http://forum.scalemodelhorsedrawnvehicle.co.uk/index.php

Cheering you on Scott for Crunch Time! I brought in the cheerleaders for Jeep's Crunch Time Hoora! Only fair to do it for you. But, it's gotta be a fitting for you and what you're going through right? So:

heaps_1.jpg

GO SCOTT GO! YOU CAN DO ET!

Oink! -

So I'm going to get started on this pronto. I have decided that for this build I will not be producing the usual videos. Instead I am going to use every opportunity I have to make a TIPS or DIY short video for the site's Resource section.

A few reasons:
Faster and easier to produce.
It's summer.
We'll have more content for the site.
It's summer.
It's faster and easier.

I will also be posting photos/text here like everyone else.

Cool. So I'm gonna get off the pot and get building! We have an extension guys! Get in on this with me - grab a fighter from the BoB and build 'er up!

Scott Girvan said:
Oink! -

So I'm going to get started on this pronto. I have decided that for this build I will not be producing the usual videos. Instead I am going to use every opportunity I have to make a TIPS or DIY short video for the site's Resource section.

A few reasons:
Faster and easier to produce.
It's summer.
We'll have more content for the site.
It's summer.
It's faster and easier.

I will also be posting photos/text here like everyone else.

Cool. So I'm gonna get off the pot and get building! We have an extension guys! Get in on this with me - grab a fighter from the BoB and build 'er up!

Haha, that's what I'm doing with my Cromwell while I work on a SMA Academy Build with the corsair 1/48. Filming a build takes time. Just need some private time to just model sometimes. :)

DreamKnight said:
Cheering you on Scott for Crunch Time! I brought in the cheerleaders for Jeep's Crunch Time Hoora! Only fair to do it for you. But, it's gotta be a fitting for you and what you're going through right? So:

heaps_1.jpg

GO SCOTT GO! YOU CAN DO ET!

(distracted, and oddly very hungry)

Go Scott.

This should be fun. I have a couple 1/72 WWII aircraft and plan to get a couple more if I can. I would definately like one to be a wreck cause that's just the way I am. I like stuff all nice and dirty. Wait, that didn't sound right. Anyway, this should be fun watching come together. The fields of hay should look sharp. Do you have many references for the wrecked plane?

I have a few - posted earlier in this thread - if you have more fell free to post them here. Thanks.

Re: [WIP] Spitfire Down! Spitfire Down!

So I finally have started this. Last night I removed the drivers side door from the tiny Tamiya Tilly. That went well.

I have the white metal figures assembled and seams filled with Aves as well. Still waiting on wagon wheels, horses and figures but that doesn't stop me from building the kits. I'll get a couple pics up later.

Latest posts

Back