[REVISITED] Spitfire Down!

Re: [WAIP] Spitfire Down! Spitfire Down!

Actually those are the oompa loompas-ausfpanzerkampfs...

not the hobbit-sdkfzeshutzens.

;D

So far not good news:

--------------------------------------------------------

Windy

Hi DK

We do have 'Corn Corn' fields - which I am guessing you mean to be Sweetcorn or Corn on the cob???...or have I got that totally wrong? However I am not sure if this would have been around in GB in the 1940's.

What you were far more likely to get in the South East of England at that time were fields of wheat along with hops (for beer!), barley etc etc

Hope this helps!!

DreamKnight
Today at 01:53 PM

Hey thanks!

Yeh that's what I meant. Maize type of corn (sweet corn, on the cob). Do you're not sure it would have been harvested around the 1940s?

Windy
Today at 02:06 PM

Glad I was thinking on the right lines. I will try and do a bit of research but I don't think it was being harvested in Britain at that time.

We didn't get Banana's until the 1950's!!

DreamKnight
Today at 02:10 PM

LOL we've been looking around too. Hard to find. And thanks!

Mmmm, this might help. :-\

http://www.tozerseeds.com/sweetcorn/

http://www.tozerseedsdirect.com/seeds/sweetcorn-seeds/

http://www.mdidea.com/products/new/new072d.html

Told ya i was bit of a freak. ;D

Even if they did have corn, does that really scream "Britian" to you? What I'm thinking it would be great to get what's in the field to suggest to the viewer what country it is. For example maybe a grape field (wine) would be good for France or olives for Italy. However I am not sure what crop you could use to symbolize Britian.

What about sheep?

Sheep would have been scared off but I hear what you're saying and it's solid.

So what is a good crop for Britian. Wheat? That's kinda plain.

From Java's links:
"Tozer Seeds were responsible for the introduction of sweetcorn to the UK market in the early 1940’s, "

So 'ala mythbusters' it's plausible.

The jury is still out I guess.

Wikipedia says: The main crops that are grown are wheat, barley, oats, potatoes, sugar beets, fruits[which?] and vegetables.[which?]

A potato field?

AKE said:
Even if they did have corn, does that really scream "Britian" to you? What I'm thinking it would be great to get what's in the field to suggest to the viewer what country it is. For example maybe a grape field (wine) would be good for France or olives for Italy. However I am not sure what crop you could use to symbolize Britian.

What about sheep?

That makes lots of sense. :)

[quote author=Scott Girvan]
So what is a good crop for Britian. Wheat? That's kinda plain.
[/quote]

Warm Beer trees? lol What the heck do the Brits grow back then. Heck, what do they grow now?

I just don't want to model a 'field' or meadow. It's been done and redone. I need a hook.

Scott Girvan said:
Wikipedia says: The main crops that are grown are wheat, barley, oats, potatoes, sugar beets, fruits[which?] and vegetables.[which?]

A potato field?

Man, I dunno nuttun' about agriculture. Potatoes grow underground right? What sprouts from a potato? What about Tea?

Well, how about a hay fields with lots of stacks of bale of hay? You can make burning hay fires from the crash!

Potatoes have a leafy top. The actually pototoe isn't that deep and should a Spitfire crash it would expose many of them.

33986220.183.jpg

That's an idea. I'm not sure at this point.

Darn corn not existing really for sure!

Scott Girvan said:
Darn corn not existing really for sure!

LOL that's one of the more funny road blocks to hit on building a model that I've heard.

Sounds crazy I know. Thing is, I've already spent over 10 hours on this field, plus researching corn and actually videoing me in a field, taking measurements and everything.

ARGH! We should do a Battle of Ohio Group Build!

As far as I know sweet corn or corn on the cob was known about over here at the time but if it was grown at all during the war it would have been a rarity. Didn't really become popular till the late 40s/early fifties....but if the seeds were being imported here then there's no reason why some intrepid farmer on the South Downs wasn't having a go at trying it out...and hell anyway, it would make for a great dio!

Scott Girvan said:
ARGH! We should do a Battle of Ohio Group Build!

If we did that, everyone would enter but all the submissions would be of rocks sitting on dirt. What the heck happens in Ohio? You're talking about the US state Ohio, right? LOL

Noddy4000 said:
As far as I know sweet corn or corn on the cob was known about over here at the time but if it was grown at all during the war it would have been a rarity. Didn't really become popular till the late 40s/early fifties....but if the seeds were being imported here then there's no reason why some intrepid farmer on the South Downs wasn't having a go at trying it out...and hell anyway, it would make for a great dio!

Hey, there you go! Do the corn field but add a sign that says, "No Trespassing, Experimental Crop". You might be able to get away with that!

Windy replied back at PM:

"You're right its very hard to find. The best I could find was that it was first introduced into Britain in the early 20th Century but only initially as a foraging crop. Its certainly not farmed here to anywhere near the extent it is in North and South America. To be safe I would stick to a wheat which would have been a very common sight in the farmed fields of the south east of England in the 1940s - as it still is today. Good luck to your friend!"

Latest posts

Back