[REVISITED] Spitfire Down!

Re: [WAIP] Spitfire Down! Spitfire Down!

I was looking for a British 1:48 jeep. Couldn't find one. Got the Tilly. I can't spend anymore on this build...too much already.

Comment on YouTube:

a spitfire on a british field... i don't think they used corn back then...

What's the consensus on this? Again, don't want to be a rivet counter.

Searching maize on Wikipedia gives us this info: After European contact with the Americas in the late 15th and early 16th centuries, explorers and traders carried maize back to Europe and introduced it to other countries through trade.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/63/a2773163.shtml

I"m obsessing. I know. I've read online that sweet corn gained popularity in the UK after WWII. So it simply wasn't 'popular' before that. Kinda like the Beatles before they got Ringo.

Hey Scott, I have a 1/48 scale Hasegawa follow me jeep http://www.hlj.com/product/HSGX48-11 coming with the MA K kit that I ordered (this forum is a baaaaaAD ,er creative influence) if it would help you out maybe we can do some horse trading.

You would still see the odd corn field as "field corn or animal feed" though but you would likely see wheat as a staple. Just make it a small field.

edit, I can spell, I just can't type

That's a great kit! I'm not sure if I need a second vehicle in this layout though...

Not saying no. I'm open to a trade. Just not sure if this dio needs another vehicle. I want to keep the story simply and easy to read at one glance.

Oh hmmm. The corn thing. I dunno. Corn is corn to me but I yielded the same search results that England's "corn" is another word for wheat.

Want me to help research this more? :) I can always post over at promodeler. Their mostly British over there. Someones got to know.

Please do. The term is either Maize or Sweet corn in the UK. As long as one field had it in 1940 I'll go ahead. If it wasn't possible then I'll have to rethink this a bit.

Oh and Jeep, it will be small for sure. I can't see making more than 200 stalks.

Scott Girvan said:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/63/a2773163.shtml

Hmmm, that looks like wheat. Apparently, North American "corn" is another mans wheat, Scotland and Ireland's Oats. This is kinda fascinating. Well, if you go with wheat, then it'd be a lot easier to do and a lot less tedious.

Save the corn for another model?

For the figures, I say go for it. Not every soldier/airman in WWII was the exact same height and weight. One dude might have been 5'6", another dude might have been 6' 2"...

As for the corn, it may be a tough sell. I seem to remember that in the UK pre/during WWII they grew a lot of turnips in the winter for the cows to eat, as they didn't have corn...

Doesn't mean there wasn't at least one field possible but whatever.

Read that line in my signature. ;)

Scott Girvan said:
Please do. The term is either Maize or Sweet corn in the UK. As long as one field had it in 1940 I'll go ahead. If it wasn't possible then I'll have to rethink this a bit.

Ok, let me see what they say over at PM

Thanks.

Yeah, I'm not trying to be anal. I'd like it to be possible. I love the design of it. The human chaos of the wreck and the natural chaos of the stalks. I don't know why but I really like the 'idea' of this. How war totally interrupted nature.

Posted:

Re: England Corn Fields, Help!

Hey guys!

I need some clarification. I have a friend doing a Spitfire crash scene into a corn field during the Battle of Britain. Now, you guys over the pond over there, did you guys have like "corn corn" fields or is it just wheat fields? You guys call your wheat corn there so there's a little misconceptions it seems.

Thanks!
DK

I'll check back later and see if there are any replies. I think this weekend is their PM annual get together so hopefully they haven't all left yet. lol

Scott Girvan said:
Thanks.

Yeah, I'm not trying to be anal. I'd like it to be possible. I love the design of it. The human chaos of the wreck and the natural chaos of the stalks. I don't know why but I really like the 'idea' of this. How war totally interrupted nature.

I really like how it looks like it'll turn out too. I'm feeling it. But ya know, being accurate isn't being a rivet counter. I think what makes people a rivet counter is when they start to beat down other peoples work just so they can nitpick.

MOAR!!1!

...different height dudes?

B_1.jpg

;)

Great photo. That works. The figures are exactly 1.5" tall, which in 1:48 is 6'. I was so used to looking at the Tamiya stand in that when I added this I was shocked.

Now if we got corn we got a green light.

Where did you get that photo of Lord of the Rings?

LOL

I have no idea, it's been on my hard drive for ages my precious...

Latest posts

Back