Revell SpPz Luchs A2

Hi all,

I have certainly not forgotten this model, progress is just slow on it. One of the reasons is that I was accepted into my university's Formula Zero Hydrogen Racing Team so now im involved in the design of some components of the chassis for our new project. ;D

The Luchs has received its basecoat of NATO green on the upper and side surfaces, with only the underside left unfinished. The turret and smaller bits are to follow with their basecoats.

DSC_4514.jpg

Thanks for looking and happy modelling!

Looking very good there on the build! I wish I gather more info/references for this kit before I start building mine. Look forward to more of your progress!

B

thanks guys!

@Boxster, there is quite a few images to work off of on Google, and some nice build logs out there of this kit. there are several flaws and depending on how accurate you want the model, there is a fair bit of work to do to this kit, it is a 1998 era kit after all. I will recommend the Eduard photo-etch set (although i havent used one for this build, ive used Eduard photo-etch on other in progress builds) as some details in the kit are a bit soft.

anyways, ive continued work with it and now the NATO green basecoat is complete and ive started some detail painting with black on the smoke grenade launchers, main gun, MG3, and the mudflaps.

DSC_4519.jpg

i now have to figure out how im going to do the camouflage, either freehand or masking but thats for another time, exams are coming! :eek:

Some progress with the kit: the black spots of the camouflage have been added:

DSC_4525.jpg

The wheels and some accessories have been painted as well. All thats left is the NATO brown and some small detail work and then its off to weathering!

Hi all,

The camouflage has been completed on the main body of the Luchs with just a few touchups needed on the trim vane and extra parts of the suspension. The decals have all been added (very few for this vehicle), and some of the smaller parts like lights and tools have been attached as well. The build is now heading to the next phase: weathering!

DSC_4589.jpg

Thanks for looking! :D

Thanks everyone! ;D

Now its time for WEATHERING!!! :eek: I did just a little today since there is still touchup work needed on the main hull so it was off to the turret and wheels today.

Firstly was a little drybrushing of the wheels. I used Mig Oils Brown and White. You can see the difference in the after (front) and the before (behind).
DSC_4636.jpg

Next was the AK Filter for NATO vehicles applied on the turret and the same drybrushing treatment as the wheels. It subtle, but the filter just changes the tone of the camouflage a little when compared to the untouched body. Its a little more prominent on the white lines of the Iron Cross decal.
DSC_4638.jpg

thanks for looking and happy modelling! ;D

I think the subtle effects of the filter on the turret, when sitting next to the hull, serves as a great example of one of it's uses.

Nice photo!

thanks for the comments guys!

some work done this weekend:

The hull has received its filter using AK Interactive's NATO filter:
DSC_4644.jpg

DSC_4646.jpg

The tool handles, painted previously in a light sand, were washed with brown oils and brushed along the handle axis to simulate a wood grain:
DSC_4645.jpg

Heres an example of AK Interactive's Dark Steel Pigment on the MG3 machine gun. you could see the heatshield and top edge of the receiver has the pigment applied while the lower bit still needs the pigment:
DSC_4652.jpg

The turret weathering continued with rain streaks down the vertical sides of the turret. it appears a bit rough but hopefully the final pigment dusting will blend it all together. the drybrushing (made with oils) had all come off when making the rain streaks so that will have to be done again. it was during this time the turret unfortunately fell off my desk and landed barrel first, snapping the barrel. i glued it back together and once the glue has dried i'll sand and paint it over :mad: (you live and learn, i guess...):
DSC_4649.jpg

DSC_4650.jpg

thats all the work for this weekend. thanks for stopping by and happy modelling!

Latest posts

Back