Revell Klingon D7 Battlecruiser - Lighting Technical Exercise - Done

Mikey_W_1980

Morning All,

So over the past few months I've been teaching myself how to light up a kit, with the help of a Grendels and a few others too.

The subject is a Klingon D7 Cruiser from Revell's ST:TOS series at the bargain sum of £5. This has been mainly a technical exercise to push my own abilities and take them to the next stage of my modelling skills.

the LED's Used were:

5 x 5mm warm white LED's in the "head" section
4 x 5mm green LED's (2 in each nacelle) for the warm nacelles
2 x 5mm amber LED's for the impulse engine

A very rudimentary circuit to tie everything together

IMG-20150122-WA0000.jpg

Connection was a 2.5mm mono jack lead built into the bottom of the hull and the stand
DSC_0436.jpg

Side view
DSC_0430.jpg

Forward View
DSC_0431.jpg

Aft View (impulse clear was painted red the difused with masking tape on the inside
DSC_0432.jpg

Night Shot Aft
DSC_0433.jpg

Night Shot Forward
DSC_0435.jpg

No lighting
DSC_0437.jpg

Forward view no lighting (and that is Moonraker on in the background)
DSC_0439.jpg

Any and all comments are welcome....I know I have a lot to learn but I am pretty proud of this first effort.

Next up is the 1:500 scale Into Darkness Enterprise
DSC_0369.jpg

I've already started building the LED's with resistors, Still unsure whether or not to for out the £36 for the aztecing decals......

Hope you enjoy the pics and all comments welcomed

:) ;D

Cheers fellas....Have to admit, it was a huge amount of fun doing the D7. Even my brother who is an electrical engineer by trade was impressed... ;D

Grendels, your tutorials on soldering really helped, I'd not done this since high school, so at least 15 years ago, so I thank you for that.

The Enterprise will be a huge challenge, but I'm not one to back away from one. patience and precision I think?

Your welcome, I made those videos for people like you so that they could do this too.

I second to what Quaralane recomends - and would be looking forward to see You build this big E.
Very nice job with lighting and overall here on this D7

Cheers fellas! I appreciate the comments. I found some more pics of the construction phase as well. so here you go....enjoy

first circuit done (sorry no internal pics...got a bit carried away
DSC_0414.jpg

A little bit of light leakage and some light sanding to be done on the forward section
DSC_0415.jpg

DSC_0416.jpg

First Warp Nacelle lighting test
DSC_0417.jpg

Second light test
DSC_0418.jpg

Latest posts

Back