Revell Klingon D-7 OOB Review

smusno

I mentioned I had one of these in one of the other D-7 threads, and people seemed to want to know what they were like.

Now, firstly. I am not a D-7 officianado. This is just me showing you around her straight out of the box.

Let me know what yall think.
Revell D-7 OOB Review

smusno (dave)

Great review. Looks like the engineering on that kit is well thought out. If this builds up like any other of the Starships rolling over on your screen saver she's going to look great. Dave are you going to do vid's on this build?

Glorfindel said:
Great review. Looks like the engineering on that kit is well thought out. If this builds up like any other of the Starships rolling over on your screen saver she's going to look great. Dave are you going to do vid's on this build?

Oh yes.

I cant wait to see those engines glow green!

YES!
That looks like the best Klingon D-7 styrene kits ever!!!!
Too bad it's not going to be distributed over here in 'merika! (America) ;)
I mean I could still get one, but I don't know if I want to, or could pay $50.00+ :(

That was a very entertaining review. After viewing it, I hafta say I'd be me more excited to get this kit than the other one of the Enterprise. I really like the paneling done on the upper hull surfaces, it mimmicks the look of the remastered D-7 which I liked a lot. One other thing that ocurred to me related to having to mix custom colors is, you are guaranteed that no two builds will ever be exactly alike. I like that idea myself.

Very interesting to see this, Dave (easier to type than smusno). I agree with what trek says.

I'm not sure if we ever get a good look at the remastered dorsal hull in TOS, but we certainly get a good view here in DS9's episode 'Trials and Tribble-ations'. Here (they don't hotlink) :-

http://ds9.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/5x06/trialstribbleations246.jpg

http://ds9.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/5x06/trialstribbleations247.jpg

One thing that is debatable is whether or not the warp engines are lit.

The best view we ever get of TOS D7s is from 'The Enterprise Incident', and they're the Romulan version.

http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/3x02hd/theenterpriseincidenthd0300a.jpg

Even here in The Motion Picture, we see that the engines aren't lit. Only some running lights.

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/tmp2/tmphd0049.jpg

However, there is an argument for lit engines. In TOS episode, 'Day of the Dove' the original unmastered version :-

http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/3x07hd/dayofthedovehd0047.jpg

Looks like they are lit. So who knows?

I'd say, if you've got the space to fit LEDs, then it's always a good thing to spice up the model and nobody can really say it's wrong. This ship has undergone so many changes over the years, the most versatile ship in Trek history. So who's to say what's accurate. Looks pretty accurate to me, definately gets the thumbs up and a probable future purchase from me.

Eek! That was a bit of an essay. Hope it helps or makes sense.

Thanks for doing this review. The kit looks better than the polar lights version.

I say LIGHT IT! You could maybe do it with 6 dim led's- make it so the impulse deck snaps off for your battery and put the switch at the bottom near the stand- the D-7 DOES have a hangar deck as well...

book-of-klingon-plans-sheet-6.jpg

It's on the left and at the top of the impulse deck, Id'e open that baby up and install an orange light and paint the kit something close to that blueish grey you see on some German armour, that would go nice with the red insignia. This is something I will do one day- I need a match for my 1/650 Enterprise, thats here somewhere... this kit just screams attention.

OK.

a) I have been listening to an audio book called "Ship of the line", and in that story there is a D-7. Its named, it tells you who the captain is and everything. And it remarks upon "the hull of the vessel sparkling green" and referred to Starfleet mocking it. Saying it was the Klingon colour of envy.

I love this, so green she will be. Possibly with even a little pearl in there too.

b) The engines WILL be lit. Cannon, or not. This thing is going to spill red and green light all over the place.

Lets get one thing straight...........

Smusno says..... You cant argue over the realism of toy space ships, when there just toy space ships!

Lets get one thing straight...........

Smusno says..... You cant argue over the realism of toy space ships, when there just toy space ships!

Amen, brother, amen!!!!
That has been my motto for centuries.... well, maybe not that long, but quite a while!
;D

If im honest, I put this on "another well know starship modelling site", and all I seem to get is crap for not treating it like it's life and death?

ITS A HOBBY NUMBNUTS :mad:

If you treat every person that doesn't want it to build a perfect studio replica like they have the styrene aids, you will run out of people for your forum?

Anyhoo, OK SMA ;D

I pretty much agree with you two. I am not building my falcon to cannon. The larger A-wing yes, but then again, that is a different case.

I don't build anything according to canon, i build it because i like it! Rivet and window counters are boring snobs and they get even worse when it gets to colors and $100 detail sets on $50 kits. lol PM me the name of that other forum Smusmo, I have something on the shelf that would raise the roof over there!

Just PLEASE as this continues, post the mix you use to make that Klingon green paint!

smusno said:
If im honest, I put this on "another well know starship modelling site", and all I seem to get is crap for not treating it like it's life and death?

If you treat every person that doesn't want it to build a perfect studio replica like they have the styrene aids, you will run out of people for your forum?

Anyhoo, OK SMA ;D
Please don’t get me wrong; I wasn’t suggesting that a 100% accurate copy of a filming model was the only way to go. In fact, I have a TOS Romulan Bird of Prey on my bench that’s going to be finished in Romulan green because that’s the way I think it should be, not the way it “actually” is. I agree that this hobby is subjective; go for what you want. Whether it’s a perfect duplicate of a studio model/real world piece of machinery or something more imaginative and personal it’s up to the builder to judge whether or not it hit the mark. Truth be told, it was the rivet-counting and measuring and colour-matching that put me off modeling competitions (and some other modeling websites, as well). I got tired of seeing kids getting berated by adults and being told that their best effort just wasn’t accurate or realistic or whatever enough in the judges’ opinion.

I’d also be interested to know which “other well-known modeling site” has driven you away and if it was similar to my experience.
I’m looking forward to following the progress of this build.

Cheers.

smusno said:

Anyhoo, OK SMA ;D

You should present them with the evidence that I posted earlier. There are different versions of this ship. THAT'S CANON, but that's beside the point. You SHOULD be able to build whatever model you want. Imagine if we all built exact replicas of the studio models. BORING! :mad:

Intrigued by this audio book. Might check that out sometime. And I'm liking the description you gave.

Have fun with her! :)

smusno said:

Anyhoo, OK SMA ;D

Even without your hint, I could make a great guess as to which other forum you are referring to! ;) Some people take this hobby way to seriously and are literally offended if someone else isn't as passionate about any given subject as they are! ??? I say build it as you like it and more importantly, have fun doing so. :D

Glorfindel said:
Hey Dave, perhaps I missed it, what scale is this kit?

1/600.

I have the matching enterprise too. So, diorama?

(I'm in 2 minds if I should light the enterprise. Those spinner kits are so damned expensive!)

smusno said:
Glorfindel said:
Hey Dave, perhaps I missed it, what scale is this kit?

1/600.

I have the matching enterprise too. So, diorama?

(I'm in 2 minds if I should light the enterprise. Those spinner kits are so darned expensive!)

Have a dig around in Maplins Dave, they've got loads of LED hobby project kits. There's bound to be a simple chaser circuit that you could modify to do the job

W

Latest posts

Back