Revell AAT

Thundergod

Another day , another Revell Star Wars kit ! As I recently added the AAT to the collection , I thought I'd stick to my pattern of giving it a little out-of-box "review" before building it up as a "proper" kit . First all , it has to be said , this isn't one of the best of the range . The last two I picked up , the Nu-Class Shuttle and the Sith Infiltrator turned out to be pretty good kits and this model falls short of that standard . That's not to say it's a bad kit , because it's not , it's just pretty "average" . The model is about 2/3rds the size of the old AMT kit ( more of that later) , but lacks surface detail . In fact , this is the kit that would define the range's "toy-like" properties to it's detractors , as that's exactly what this model looks like "out of box" . A large part of that is due to the paint scheme used , screen accurate or not , it's AWFUL ! I knew as soon as I bought it that I definately would be re-painting it and my original plan was to give it the Phantom Menace-style "Desert" colour scheme , which is where the AMT kit comes into it . I dug out my AMT version to copy the scheme and this is where I was surprised to find that the newer kit is VERY different . It's almost like the Revell version is a completely different "marque" , as not only does it differ in shape , some features ( such as the forward facing guns on the lower forward "fuselage" ) are missing completely ! Despite this , the model is STILL worth getting , as it's shortcomings are nothing that can't be sorted with a little "tweaking" and I'm a fan of the general design . In fact , taking my (90% finished ) AMT version out of storage has reminded me HOW much I like the design and I'll be returning to that particular model as now I have plenty of picture reference , which wasn't as easily available when I first built it . Anyhow , here's some pics of the Revell kit , before I do any work on it .

DSC05593_zps0a0601f4.jpg

DSC05591_zps58a28db5.jpg

DSC05594_zpsb4cd1c10.jpg

Started "re-fitting" the AAT . Nothing major , I've just added some panel detail with styrene sheet as well as some "grab-handles" made from thin wire . I've since decided the antenna on the turret are a little too thick , so I'll most likely replace them . The model has been given a couple coats of dark grey automotive primer , which will serve as a base coat . As I'm not going "screen accurate" , I'm planning on a camo scheme influenced ( loosely) by German WW2 patterns .

DSC05612_zps49f789d2.jpg

DSC05611_zps3b0c4e60.jpg

DSC05610_zps29bf23a2.jpg

DSC05609_zps92e49ff6.jpg

DSC05608_zpsf3e54b67.jpg

(The paintwork looks a little "rough and ready" in the photos , but once the camo's been added and all the weathering's done it should look a little better ! ) ;D

Got the second camo colour on the AAT . Used a "Khaki Grey Beige" from a spray can . Quite pleased the way it's come out , but am undecided whether or not it needs a third colour , maybe small blocks/patches of black or white . I'll give it some thought while I give the paint 24 hours to cure .

DSC05623_zpsa9b9008b.jpg

DSC05622_zpsce5f6fbd.jpg

DSC05620_zps5f2b2bf0.jpg

DSC05621_zpsec459350.jpg

The reason they are so different and why this kit probably looks so much more like a toy is because it is based on the Clone Wars cartoon/CGI version. I definitely like the Episode 1 version much better looks wise.

You did a great job tweaking it and the new paint scheme has definitely made a difference, but overall, I just don't like some of the basic shapes compared to the original

Scale wise, I believe this is supposed to be about 1/50

The "Clone Wars" version lacks something when compared to the "Phantom Menace" version . I think the "scyth-shaped" lower fuselage is far shorter and takes away some of the menace ( pardon the pun) of the design . On the subject of the original version , as I said earlier , I dug out my old AMT version and was surprised how good a model it is . I don't remember the model getting much ( if any ) attention , but now that more reference pictures are available ( especially in the excellent "Sculpting A Galaxy " ), it shows just how accurate it is . Inspired by this , I'm actually getting around to adding the finishing touches to the model and will no doubt share some pictures when I'm done ! The Revell kit , though far from perfect , is an adequate model and as I found it heavily discounted , I may even pick up a couple more with a mind to customising some variants .

2014-01-07213335_zpsdc5694d9.jpg

2014-01-07213434_zps6401a30d.jpg

2014-01-07213523_zps0ebed416.jpg

2014-01-07213542_zpsd2a0b5b3.jpg

Nice work on both tanks. I'm surprised it is so different, but they did alter a few of the designs for the series. Still, it had a lot of potential. The new grab-handles look great. Too bad they don't make brass barrel replacements for Star Wars

Unreality said:
Nice work on both tanks. I'm surprised it is so different, but they did alter a few of the designs for the series. Still, it had a lot of potential. The new grab-handles look great. Too bad they don't make brass barrel replacements for Star Wars

Thanks , I'm seriously considering replacing the Revell AAT's gun barrel with aluminium/brass rod .

Wow seeing them side by side I also did not realize exactly how different they were!

The AMT version you have looks great.

I got finished building mine earlier this year. It was a great model and a really nice size as well.

Latest posts

Back