Revell 1:48th Deadly Sexy P-51D Mustang, Mustang #6

13aceofspades13

lets kick some tires and lights some fires!
Long story line behind the Deadly Sexy P-51 and ill get to it later. i found the kit $4 cheaper then it usually sold for, so i pounced on it, and the Deadly Sexy P-51 is important!

this is somewhat of what i want it to look like, minus the D day stripes.

FullviewAmberFusionsP-51Dmustang.jpg

so here is the box art, as many of you may have already seen.
Boxart.jpg

All the stuff the kit comes with
Stuff.jpg

No... the Kit does not come with a white fluffy annoying kitten that tries to attack everything!
Parmasonattacks.jpg

my plan is as i build this one, and post the pictures of the building process as i go along, and i will also be working on the Diorama with this airplane!

hay... am i typing to see myself type ::) hello... anyone alive!?

anyhow, im updating you guys, unfortunetly... i do not have pictures yet, but by friday i should! the cockpit looks amazing, its very well detailed, almost as good looking as the Ace Of Spades P-51 Mustangs cockpit, but since i used the exact colors in the instructions it looks alot like the real thing should!

i do not have the pilot yet, and for good reason, the pilot in this airplane, if most of you have not already figured this out, is a Lady... so if any of you guys know where i can get some lady pilots i will install it later, i have looked up and down and have had no luck!

also... i will be including the D day stripes into the Design!

so here is the details i can now give you on this build.

DeadlySexyCockpit.jpg
the cockpit was fallowed to almost exactly.... how it should look, except this cockpit has a stained wood floor, i used the origional Chromate green, for the primary color as instructed for the entire cockpit. this is by far the best looking cockpit that i more or less followed the instructions on! the Ace Of Spades P-51D Mustangs cockpit in the 3rd ace of spades P-51 is probably the best looking of the mustang cockpits, but this is defenetly up there!!

cockpitinstalled.jpg
Amber, the lady pilot has not yet been added to the cockpit, so... i painted the belts, i need help finding 1/48th scale lady pilot figures that will fit in this mustang!!

Cockpitinstalled2.jpg
i took a nice picture of the cockpit installed, you can see the instroment pannel, its really good looking from this angle!

Finishedassembly.jpg
so this is what i have of what the airplane looks like at this point, it looks pretty good and everything going as planned, the project is coming right along!

Don't worry too much about finding a lady pilot figure.
About the only way you could really tell would be if her flight helmet was off.
Those old flught suits could hide all but the most endowed of women.

Quaralane said:
Don't worry too much about finding a lady pilot figure.
About the only way you could really tell would be if her flight helmet was off.
Those old flught suits could hide all but the most endowed of women.

yep, the pilot has a cap on, and i did think about the fact that those flight siutes could hide the most luscious curves! however... the figures face is not at all feminine, that is my concern, the face does not any of the sharp yet delicate beautiful shapes and features that a womans face would have. it has verry bold strong features.

im so horrible at describing facial features XD

So, basically, you need a woman's head at 1/48 scale. Then you can splice it onto the pilot figure

Nice progress, and great choice of subject! Reminds me of Pussy Galore's Flying Circus, too :D

I just went into my stash and took a look at my copy of this kit, from your comment about the rudder pedals over in my P-51B thread. Monogram did a good job of adding detail, when they developed this kit, compared with the -B. How did you finish the instrument panel? Was there a decal? The one in my kit has raised circles for the dials, but no molded relief. I have Mike Grant's instrument decals, and I can see using those.

Quaralane said:
So, basically, you need a woman's head at 1/48 scale. Then you can splice it onto the pilot figure

i should have thought of that before... XD

yea i can do that just make a womans head or face and put it on the body, that will be so simple, i can make it out of sealer if i have too!!

the Baron said:
Nice progress, and great choice of subject! Reminds me of Pussy Galore's Flying Circus, too :D

I just went into my stash and took a look at my copy of this kit, from your comment about the rudder pedals over in my P-51B thread. Monogram did a good job of adding detail, when they developed this kit, compared with the -B. How did you finish the instrument panel? Was there a decal? The one in my kit has raised circles for the dials, but no molded relief. I have Mike Grant's instrument decals, and I can see using those.

yes, i love the Revell P-51D Mustang myself, for the price, it has good details.

the Instrument panel on the Revell P-51D Mustang is raised lines i believe, i did the same thing for this as i did the Ace Of Spades P-51D Mustang. i took the Instrument panel, first painted it flat black, let the paint dry, i have seen tons of pictures of the instrument panel of the mustang, and have two flight simulators i play frequently, so i had somewhat a idea for details.

for the original mustangs gauges, as most American fighters, the insides of the gauges are about the same color as the instrument panel, flat black or so, and all the details on the gauges like the needles and notches on the gaiges are white so they stick out nice for the pilot to read. so what i did, was very carfully, take a fine point detailed brush, and dry brushed over the raised lines with white, it wasn't perfect, but worked out well! then for the indicator lights and buttons and Magneto switches usually red with the fine detail brush, dry brushed them red! it was a little time consuming, but worth it in the end!

by the way i cant wait to see your P-51Bs when i get home, this dial up sucks i cant look at pictures beacuse they dont load fast enough!

FAST FACT!!

the P-51B was actually slightly faster than the P-51D under military power, despite the fact the Ds more powerful engine created 100 more horsepower under military power!

P-51B 441mph military power
P-51D 437mph military power

the P-51D had thicker wings, two extra guns, and a bubble canopy, this added a little drag, the Bs more streamlined bird cage stile canopy, thinner wings, and lighter armament created less drag. but the P-51D Mustang was a little more suitable for dogfighting, the thicker wings not only increased rate of climb, but also made way for better armament arrangement. the P-51B mustangs wings where so thin the guns had to be mounted at aquard angles, this would cause occasional jamming of some of the guns under heavy G when fired! the D mustangs thicker wings allowed a better setting, ridding of the jamming! and allowing two extra guns for a little more punch! also the most obvious change was the Bubble canopy, the B mustang did not allow great rearward viability, the Mustangs Bubble canopy boats the best visibility of any fighter of the war! necessary sacrifices for drag!

:D

ALRIGHTY!!

Ddaystripesmasked.jpg
here it is some more details, i painted the outside the first few complicated messes, this is with most of the masking still on for the D Day stripes, what i did was painted most of the wings white first, then put the masking tape over where i wanted the stripes, then painted the wings black as was necessary.

Maskingremoved.jpg
finally i removed the masking and cleaned up some stuff here and there but there is still tuns of detail work and Touch ups to do before its finished!

next i will post the finished product, that will be posted in another thread

Quaralane said:
Looking sharp so far, Ace

cant wait to post the pictures of the finished product, didn't turn out like i wanted it too, but hay... it looks pretty good!

Latest posts

Back