Retirement

martin9428

Retired from the Military in 2014 after 22 years and decided to rekindle my modeling. I am not great but, can slap a model together. I'm not fast, as I get bored easily and will put it away for awhile. I have a Mustang I started in 2010 on the shelf. I'm not good at shading, weathering or making dioramas. I do however enjoy it for the most part, although I get frustrated easily and the worst critic of my work. I have a number of cool kits waiting to be built, from SciFi to wooden whaling boats. Including the Mustang, I have built two cars. Can't say I'm a big fan of car models. I built one military vehicle, which I enjoyed much more than the autos and half built two planes, not a fan either so, looks like military is the way to go but, which aspects? armor, vehicles or nautical? Well, I have a submarine on the bench. It's 1:72 scale GATO Class. In order to make it more challenging and equally frustrating, I order a PE set which I've never worked with but, coming along. Pictures of my modest work bench along with the two complete models and the Sub in progress.

Attachments

• thumbnail (11).jpg
    thumbnail (11).jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 19
  • thumbnail (12).jpg
    thumbnail (12).jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 19
  • CIMG1366.JPG
    CIMG1366.JPG
    233.8 KB · Views: 18
  • CIMG1405.JPG
    CIMG1405.JPG
    243.7 KB · Views: 21
  • CIMG1407.JPG
    CIMG1407.JPG
    266.9 KB · Views: 20
  • CIMG1408.JPG
    CIMG1408.JPG
    247.5 KB · Views: 18
  • thumbnail (7).jpg
    thumbnail (7).jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 14
  • thumbnail (8).jpg
    thumbnail (8).jpg
    145 KB · Views: 14
  • thumbnail (9).jpg
    thumbnail (9).jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 14
  • thumbnail (10).jpg
    thumbnail (10).jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 17
Welcome to the Herd, Martin! Some nice builds you have going there. I look forward to seeing your finished builds
And remember, it's about having fun, so as long as you enjoy it, then the hobby is worth it.
Best regards,
Brad

Thank you. I do have funny but, I have an image in my mind on how it should look and when it doesn't translate to the finished product, I always feel I could have done better. Most of this is related to my PTSD and OCD. I think one of the reasons I haven't touched or tried to finish the mustang, although that was the model that started my rekindled interest, is because it was given to me to build while in the Phsyc. Ward at the VA as a way to help practice my patience and deal with symptoms of PTSD. That was in 2010 and 11 years later, I have two finished models, one WIP and a modest stash of models for the Winter

Here is a photo of the work done tonight. Fill, rough/fine sand and small bits. I guess it's almost time to deal with the railings.

Attachments

• thumbnail (22).jpg
    thumbnail (22).jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 7
Looks like nice work to me, gotta love the Munster Mobile. There is absolutely nothing wrong with working slowly, it keeps you from filling up shelf space too fast. Looking forward to seeing your sub completed when ever that may be.

Thank you. I haven't touched it since my last post and need to prime myself for the two next railings and hopefully I won't mis-cut like the last two

Here is a photo of the work done tonight. Fill, rough/fine sand and small bits. I guess it's almost time to deal with the railings.
That's some nice clean detail work. I find myself in "the zone" when I am building. 100% focus. I love it.

Welcome!!! I only started building in 2019, much to learn here, lots of good advice.
Keep posting pics, dig into older posts for tips and ideas.
Keep in mind; Some models you build, some build you.:)

Latest posts

Back