REPUBLIC NCC-1371 in dry dock

ModelMakerMike

"It's Slobberin' time""
Up to this time you all have only seen models that I have completed.
I am trying something new. :)
Here is an old AMT/ERTL release from 1983. I started this kit a couple years ago. Just around the time that Round 2 re-released it. Please excuse the clutter on and around my desk. :) This is kind of a "Hero" shot. I built and painted this thing in sub-assemblies. I had a mis-hap when I was gluing the saucer to the neck.
I used super glue (not the gel type which is what I would normally use) and apparently a little got on my finger and thumb, and you can see and you can see a bit of the result on the forward starboard side under the saucer near the edge. :mad:
Republic1.jpg

In my mind from my childhood, the Enterprise was White, and so was the kit I built back in 1975, but I didn't want a stark white. I used Krylon's "Dover White" which is a warm off-white. However, with all the light I used in this pic, it looks really white.
Republic6.jpg

As anyone who has ever built one these knows....It is very seam heavy, and a lot of work is involved to get the hull smooth. You can see some evidence of that around the sensor array housing where it meets the rest of the secondary hull. This was after hours of putty and sanding. even after primewring and more sanding. I think I reached a point where I said, that'll be good enough for me. :)
Republic2.jpg

AMT/ERTL made some improvements to how this kit went together between the time I built my first one and this build. However, the nacelles still give some folks trouble, and I was expecting to have more trouble with these than I did. The model is fairly long, and I think I was a little too close with the camera, but the nacelles are nice and even, and centered.
Republic3.jpg

This shot is just to show the intercoolers and other details on the nacelles. I used a mix of, "Steel" ,Graphite, and silver to paint the different parts.
Republic4.jpg

As for the Bussard Scoops (the red semi-spherical front ends of the nacelles) I used a Krylon or Rustoleum Met. gold spray paint, and then the "X-Metals" translucent red over that. I am very pleased with how they look. Nice and rich, and have a good depth to them. I have found it a bit tricky to paint sub-assemblies in this way because there sometimes ends up being a variance in the coats between the multiple pieces. I got lucky, and these didn't turn out that way. :)
Republic5.jpg

This photo shows the red of the Bussard scoops better. :) The top of the saucer section was a chore. I hand sanded away ALL of the too raised panel lines. If you see this kit in person, you get a hint of them, which I have read is the more correct way. BUT there are so many in-correct details in this kit vs. the filming models, that the detail concerning the raised lines is moot. :)
For the sensor domes (Planetary-underneath, and space-on top of the bridge) I used a glow in the dark spray paint. It actually looks kinda cool in the dark. I should have used that for some of the windows, Like I had done back in 1989. You can see that the space sensor had picked up some black smudge. :( I'll fix that later
Republic11.jpg

You can see the evidence of the glue mis-hap on the top side of the saucer near the port side. I have done some light sanding, but am hesitant to do too much, and have to re-spray the whole saucer again. I am thinking about making it a bit of damage, after all, this is NOT the Enterprise. :)
Republic7.jpg

Republic8.jpg

Here's an over-head look. You can see how the camera made the nacelles look all wonky....they really aren't. You can also see that I need to paint the impulse thruster unit, and I want to paint the raised detail that is on top of the saucer opposite of where it connects to the neck of the ship. I am thinking maybe more steel.
Republic9.jpg

You can still see a divot, that is a hint of the seam that used to be...Again, I had put a lot of work into seam removal, and this one was just way too stubborn for me, I think on my next build of this kit, I will try harder. :) Anywho, I hope you all enjoy these, and because of this forum, I feel inspired to finish this, and some others I have started, and to start and finish MORE!
Republic10.jpg

Thanx Guys,
I got the Impulse engines painted in Steel, and am trying to be brave enough to start the weathering.
I don't wanna mess it up.

Hey Mike!! Looking great! As for the weathering....A nice clear coat and try some oil paints. Little bit at a time, building it up in layers. The great thing about the oils is that they do take some time to dry....this means if you put something on one night, wake up the next day and don't like it....wipe it off and start over.

Check out Ken's SBS here: http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/tips/weathering-with-oils

Well worth the effort and time that goes into it. This is for armor but you can apply these techniques to this. Really looking forward to seeing where you take it....Keep rolling on!! ;D

Yay! The weather has finally decided to cooperate, so I will get her bussard scoops masked, and then she will get a coat of Acrylic dull coat! :)
Then she will start getting her weathering and stuff.....RED FIVE standing by....wait, woops....wrong thread! lol
It's getting to be a habit.
;D

Yup! I love me some mechs. There are a couple ZOIDS in there, and a kit from "Armored Core" by Kotobukiya. And for their size, they have a Tone of parts. I forget how many pieces, but it took me a couple days to build, and I didn't even do ANY painting!

punkpigpen said:
nice one. clearly my favorite of ANY enterprise.
Thanx,
I am working on the D-7 Battle Cruiser, trying to get experience with discoloring/weathering before I tackle the "Republic"
:)

Well everybody!
It's finally time for an update on the USS Republic NCC-1371.
I took quite a while and applied all the decals I wanted to on her. This is an older issue from Amt/Ertl. I had bought it from Ebay in early 2009...I think. It had the raised lines on the saucer, Which I hand sanded off. :/ There's just a tiny hint of 'em, and that's kewl.
I also applied decals to my Klingon D-7 today. When I did the Klingon, I used some Walthers solvaset on 'em, and it didn't really help to flatten them out any.
I did that before I did the decals on the Republic. I have not put any solvaset on these. My question is, Can I just spray some"Krylon UV-Resistant Clear over these, and will it protect, and help bond the decals to the ship, and remove the decal sheen, and unify the surface look to the ship?
After what happened with the D-7 I am wary to try the Solvaset on this ship.
::)

Decal4.jpg

Decal7.jpg

Decal6.jpg

Decal5.jpg

Decal3-1.jpg

Decal2-1.jpg

Decal1-1.jpg

Decal8.jpg

I know that in the past, before I knew about decal solutions, I just sprayed clear over them. It worked fine almost every time.

So I don't see why you can't just spray a clear coat over them.

This came out very nice. I hear you on the construction part. That is why I went with the PL 1/1000. I do remember building this kit a long time ago and the fit got the best of me. I like your technique on the bussard collectors of using silver paint with clear red over it, and I am going to try it on mine.

Latest posts

Back