Republic Attack Shuttle ( Out of box overview).

Thundergod

Having recently added to my collection of Revell Star Wars "Easy-Kits" , I thought I'd share a few pics of one "out of the box" . I build these kits as "regular" models , but can't resist putting them together to familiarise myself with the general build and to see what areas need what work etc. The Republic Attack Shuttle is one model I've had my eye on since it's release , as it's a design that I think fits into the "Star Wars Universe" perfectly , a lot more than some of the other Clone Wars era ships . I generally hold fire on buying these kits as more often than not , they get reduced in price and my current financial state means I don't have the funds to spend as much on models as I used to ! Anyway , the model is a good size and has pretty good detail as well as a couple of nice features such as the loading ramp at the front . I reckon the scale to be around 1/100 , judging by the tiny ( though nicely done ) figures included . The only issue is that the two main fuselage sections didn't really want to fit together in a satisfactory manner . This isn't a major problem though , as when I come to the build "proper" , I'll simply snip off the large connecting pins , which will solve this . I'm looking forward to getting some paint on it , I plan on giving it a quite clean finish , as I want it to be a companion piece to the Lambda Class Shuttle .
DSC05536_zpsf51513df.jpg

DSC05538_zps1869c5df.jpg

DSC05539_zpsfe76a54a.jpg
DSC05540_zpse3899add.jpg

DSC05535_zps0c8ae245.jpg

DSC05537_zpsa3375589.jpg

Thanks for the pics Thundergod. This is one I'd like to grab as well...great potential for diorama or lighted. Could you snap a pic of the loading bay area in the front...I'm curious how far back it goes/how much room there is for scratch-building goodness.

Cheers.

Unreality said:
Thanks for the pics Thundergod. This is one I'd like to grab as well...great potential for diorama or lighted. Could you snap a pic of the loading bay area in the front...I'm curious how far back it goes/how much room there is for scratch-building goodness.

Cheers.

The area inside the bay does have potential , as it goes back about more or less the full length of the head/cockpit and has interior detail going back an inch or so . I'll try to get some pics up later if I get the chance . I actually hadn't planned on doing any work on the shuttle 'till after Christmas as work tends to get a little crazy for me at this time of year so I usually take a little modelling "sabbatical" . BUT , I started dabbling with the seam work etc last night and ended up removing the big "snap-fit" pins and basically cementing the whole thing together AND cleaning up all the seam work . ( You know how these things go !) I'll leave this post at that , for now , 'cos otherwise I'll have nothing for the next update . ( So much for the Christmas modelling break !) ::)

Here's a few pics of the Attack Shuttle after the seams have been cleaned up . Once the locating pins had been removed , the problematic fuselage parts went together perfectly . Just a tiny bit of Humbrol filler was used to smooth out the resulting joins . I also used the filler on the wing sections , as well as some thin strips of styrene to add a little interest to the wings . Small bits of styrene were also added here and there to help add a little "panel" detail as well as disguise some remaining seams . I know I , (as well as other forum members ) have said this in the past , but these Revell kits REALLY stand up as decent kits ( especially at the price ) when treated as regular models . I'm only adding minimal "tweaks" , but look at what Unreality is doing with the AT-TE and other members have also achieved with these kits ! ( I almost feel guilty about waiting 'till I find them discounted , before I buy them ! ) I have to say , the Attack Shuttle is turning out to be one of my favourite of these models and I haven't even started on the paint !

DSC05541_zps14d965dc.jpg

DSC05544_zps8d26c198.jpg

DSC05545_zpse0730065.jpg

DSC05546_zpsa7d4ca99.jpg

DSC05543_zps1542fd96.jpg

DSC05542_zpsfe8657d0.jpg

P.s Unreality , I tried to show a little more of the front hatch , but my skills as a photographer ( and my camera ) are/is less than marvellous ! Trust me though , a lot could be done with this area . I'll be adding a little bit of detail , nothing dramatic . ;)

Thanks for the props on the walker, and thanks for the pics. Now you've got my wanting one of these. The hatch looks better than I thought it would, and you're right, plenty of room for detailing.

And I completely agree; these Revell kits are pretty good and have a lot of potential. The best part is that they are so solidly constructed that you can add whatever without worrying too much about breaking something. Of course, the "snap together' sections don't always "snap" as we wish...but it's nowhere near a deal breaker. The smaller pocket kits are also worth a look if you haven't seen them already. The Jedi Interceptors (pocket versions) are very well detailed, in and out.

Best.

Hey Unreality , how does the Sith Infiltrator shape up ? ( I'm planning on picking one up later this week ) .

Thundergod said:
Hey Unreality , how does the Sith Infiltrator shape up ? ( I'm planning on picking one up later this week ) .

That I'm not sure of. I bought the old AMT mini-kit one (they released 4 mini kits for Ep 1 around 2000). It's only about 3 inches long. And I also have the Action Fleet version (being an AF collector), which is about 6 inches long.

The Revell pocket kit looks decent, but the larger "easy-kit" looks really nice. I wonder if it has an interior at all. And if you get one, there's the Action Fleet and slightly smaller Micro Machine Sith Speeder for addon.

That I'm not sure of. I bought the old AMT mini-kit one (they released 4 mini kits for Ep 1 around 2000). It's only about 3 inches long. And I also have the Action Fleet version (being an AF collector), which is about 6 inches long.

The Revell pocket kit looks decent, but the larger "easy-kit" looks really nice. I wonder if it has an interior at all. And if you get one, there's the Action Fleet and slightly smaller Micro Machine Sith Speeder for addon.
[/quote]

Unreality , I must be losing my marbles , as I'm mixing up my threads ! I posted an earlier "heads-up" thread as I found a chain of stores were selling the kits heavily discounted and another member had posted that he'd picked up the Sith Infiltrator . Obviously it wasn't you ( as you're US based ) ! Sorry for any confusion ::)

I've got a little paint on the Nu-Class . I have to admit , I'm going "low-tech" on this one ! As most of my modelling gear is put away for Christmas ( at the moment I'm a "kitchen table modeller" ) I'm using whatever I have around the house . Due to this , I've used domestic masking tape rather than my favourite Tamiya , as I'm out of it at the moment , so the masking is not as crisp as I'd like . This isn't a real issue though , as I'll have some more Tamiya by the time I re-do the red areas . I masked off these areas and gave the model a couple of light coats of my favourite "Imperial Grey " from a spray can . This has given me a nice clean base coat to work on . I touched up the red striping with a dark red mix , but will give it another coat when I re-mask the edges (with the Tamiya tape). I added a little pastel chalk wash to some of the panel lines to bring them out a little and plan on giving the whole thing a wash of grey acrylic to add shade . Although I don't want a really dirty "battle damaged "look , I'll play the whole weathering thing by ear and add a little at a time until I'm happy .
DSC05556_zpsea6a2c49.jpg

DSC05557_zps01d35f4e.jpg

DSC05561_zpseb285e98.jpg

DSC05560_zps390100fc.jpg

DSC05558_zps03bacc80.jpg

I'll be adding a little detail to the loading ramp and will most likely replace the guns , but a this is a "casual build" , at the moment I'm just concentrating on painting .

Nice to see this, I've always wanted to pick one if these up and completely re do it.

It's a nice kit , I'm doing a relatively quick build on this one , but I may pick up another after Christmas to put away for the future .

You're making me rethink my Christmas list. It's amazing how nice these models are for the price

Great job.

after seeing this thread, i decided to order one from ebay and it arrive today :)

Despite saying I was going "clean" with the shuttle , I've decided to go a little dirtied down . I've started by giving the whole ship with an acrylic "sludge wash" . I let this dry for best part of an hour , then I used a damp cloth to remove the excess . I've sort of developed a technique for this type of wash nowadays , which is to be quite "brutal" with rubbing at the surface of the model . As I leave the base coat for at least a week before I apply any washes ( and due partly to me using the automotive paint ) the paint can take a fair bit of punishment and I even attack it with a worn sanding pad . This has the result of adding a lot of "variance" to the paint finish . I've found the technique's not suitable for ALL models , but works well with Star Wars subjects , especially those from the Clone Wars TV show , as I think it captures the look of the animation style quite well . The red "striping" still needs a little work , but at the moment I'm concerned mainly with the main grey areas of the ship .

2013-12-21202344_zps922991f7.jpg

2013-12-21202335_zpse3d48d52.jpg

( Sorry about the crappy pics , they were taken quickly on my phone !)

Latest posts

Back