R34 Skyline 4 door (Newby)

celowbe

Hi guys. New to the scale model building and need help along the way. Being my first kit, it should be fun to learn from you lads.

First scale model I got is this R34 Skyline. As she sits, shes got 3 coats of primer, and 3 coats of paint. Im using acrylic through an airbrush. Im finding the paint is quite rough. Is this the deal or did i do something wrong in my process?

20140702_162144.jpg

Hey bud! Congratulations on finding the best hoppy ever!
First and formost you gota sand it down between every coat! In order to get the best finish, your paint has to be as smooth as silk, and the only way to do that is sand,sand and more sanding. If your paint is fairly smooth to start with, you can use a mother sand paper.
I always start with 1500 grit and work my way up to 3000 grit.
when it comes to finishing (putting a clear coat over your paint ) i would finish up after sanding with a polishing compound, I use TAMIYA fine and finish compound.

hope this helps

Ciao Ciao.

What paint were you using and what were you using the thin it? Could be anything from the paint not being a gloss (assuming that was your desired finish), to it drying before it hits the plastic, thus giving it a rough texture finish.

Latest posts

Back