Quick question on scribing

Glorfindel

OK, so you've joined a fuselage together and have finished all your seam work and naturally sanded away some panel line details that happen to traverse the seam. Now I've always wondered about this so I came up with the brilliant idea of posting this question to my brethren and peers. Is it better to rescribe the lines you've sanded off before or after priming the model, assuming most of you guys prime at all.
Follow my train of thought. I'm going to go with "after" priming because the whole idea of priming in the first place is to give a good base for paint to follow and....wait for it....to show off any imperfections in your seam work that you wouldn't normally see until after you prime. In doing this you can correct any gaffs before moving on. Once this is done and your happy then you can move onto scratching deep grooves with unnaturally sharp objects into your tidy and clean handy work. For the record in the past I have seamed, scribed, then primed but am beginning to rethink my approach to this.
That said.....what do you boys do? Whats your approach and am I wrong for thinking like this? (the latter)

I see nothing wrong with this method. I generally do all my scribing before primer, however, after my first coat of primer and a look at all my mistakes I end up scribing and or sanding over the primer, I'll then spray it with primer again, rinse, repeat..

MrN that is usually the method I end up taking. As a matter of fact I know I mentioned that I would prime first then scribe....I already fell victim to my own hypocrisy. Little did I realize I was toying around with a scribing tool and found myself sharpening panel lines on a P-38J lightning I'm working on.

Latest posts

Back