Question on Tamiya Flat Base X-21

Glorfindel

I know it's used to dull down paint. It can actually flaten out some Tamiya Gloss colors pretty well too. I'm just wondering if anyone has ever used it as a final flat coat to finish off their model? Can this be used like MM Flat Clear Acryl?

Just like ECH said, you can use it to flatten glossy or stain paints. It's best not to use it by itself as a matt coat, Tamiya has another paint specifically for that, which I just used on my M113. It's good stuff.

Do not use it by itself. I did that once when I was building an SR-71. The plane started off flat black to begin with, but when I was done and the paint dried, it looked like it came out of a blizzard. It was frosted white, and I do mean frosted.

It could probably be used for some cool winter effects but do as ECH said, mix it with future. That is how I saved that build.

20110115_6.jpg

From the photo you can't tell that I sprayed it with the flat base at all.

I like that tip with using it on Future....very creative. That's a great looking Black Bird John. The shine of light off the windows is a great touch. Happy accident or photo shop?

It is actually a star filter on the lens of the camera. It was on the camera and I didn't know it was there.

Here is another example of it:

20101216_57.jpg

I like to use that filter when I am taking photos of jewelry, or Christmas lights.

That is pretty darn cool if you ask me. You have to use that when posting pics here for the Mercury 9. That would be extra eye candy for us kids.

I will keep that in mind. It is a fun filter for the camera and can bring out some strange effects at night.

Latest posts

Back