Question about sculptamold

anthonyh276

First time using sculptamold, and first time doing a diorama. i was using a wood base, with styrofoam as a was to form what my diorama was going to be like. added the sculptamold, and designed the diorama. after letting it sit and dry, the wood base warped pretty bad and lifted the sculptamold up. what would of caused this? too much water in the mix ration? anything helps..

thanks

Hi Anthony, I've had the same thing with air drying clay. I used a 10mm mdf base and put the clay on quite thick and it bent the base quite severely. Now I put thinner layers of clay on and build it up which has worked so far

the wooden base was sealed. a fellow modeler that made the base for me was confused on why it did this as well. i can try the thinner layers to see if that method works. thanks for the info. what would be a equal or better alternative?

thanks

I've no idea, I use Das clay which did the same as yours. I was making a cobbled street base originally and since then have made cobbles one by one individually which actually gives a better finish so every cloud...!

Light weight spackle works well and won't warp the base. It doesn't shrink as it dries.

Latest posts

Back