puttying and smoothing a 90° angle?

J

Just Mike

Hi there. I'm trying to figure out the best way to putty and smooth the tailfin on the TOS Romulan ship.

I just kinda slathered putty in there and once it was dry, sanded away. It looks like heck.

Hey Mike! I actually had to google some Romulan ships to figure out what you were looking at. :p Not too knowledgeable on the ships....

Anyway, without seeing were you are working...Applying the putty, try cutting a small thin piece of flat stock (plastic, metal shim or even balsa). The little bit of flex in the applicator allows the putty to go on easier. Too ridgid and it scrapes off, too flexy it clumps on. Try layers too. Apply, then sand, add some more, and so forth. If it real tiny, some thick super glue applied with a piece of wire to fill in the area works nice and can be sanded.
Sanding... Have you tried wrapping or gluing a piece of sandpaper to a small flat piece of styrene, wood or small enough object to get into the crease and not hit another part? Even and old #11 blade. Super glue and have at it. You could try a flex-file. I cut old ones down to odd shapes to try and get where no man has gone before (sorry, couldn't resist) . Small flat needle file?

Side note: Sorry to hear about your catastrophic fuselage placement on the X-wing.. Post a pick of what you got. I found the aint nuttin' that can't be fixed. Trust me, graduated Summa Cum Laude of Dr. Big Finger's school of "oh crap, I broke it again 101". I think almost everybody here can pitch an idea out to ya!

Hang in there! 8)

TRM said:
Side note: Sorry to hear about your catastrophic fuselage placement on the X-wing.. Post a pick of what you got. I found the aint nuttin' that can't be fixed. Trust me, graduated Summa Cum Laude of Dr. Big Finger's school of "oh crap, I broke it again 101". I think almost everybody here can pitch an idea out to ya!

Hang in there! 8)

Agreed!!

I'd use one of the epoxy putties like Aves, Magic Sculpt, or Green Stuff. There's also Tamiyas Polyester Putty for finer work. All of them are amazing products for fixing broken eges, filling, sanding, etc. The Aves or Magic Sculpt small tubs is probably the most bang for the buck.

I'd use the sanding sticks (rough, medium, to fine). Sometimes cutting them to angled ends istead of the common round ends work wonders at getting into tight spots. Working slow and wet sanding will give a better finnish, just dip the stick in water and go.

One bit I will toss out there is a lesson learned from my line of work.

When filling something.... crack, hole, cut I will mask the area as close to the spot I am putting the filler as I can. Then cram the filler in shape it as best you can and remove the tape before the filler hardens completely. This will keep your sanding to a minimum and will keep other details from either being filled in or sanded away when you are cleaning up the crack in question.

Latest posts

Back