Prince of Styrene II's BSC entry- mini Flying Sub

Thanks for the compliments, guys! I've got another small update- I got the diving bell done!

The Flying Sub & diving bell both painted up in their final colors. The FS was hit with a rattle can & the bell was hand painted, giving it a more "forged" look.
paint1.jpg

I worked off this screen grab for painting the bell. I included a flicker bulb inside for that "in distress" look & drybrushed the exterior. The stripe was hand drawn with an archival ink pen.
DSC04210b.jpg

Quite slowly, sadly. I'll be gorram lucky if I finish it by deadline. Like I hinted before, there's major life issues going on & it often has the side effect of making me not want to do poo, let alone build. Half the reason why I started the dio was to provide some escapeism, but it's kinda working against me both ways. Right now I'm getting ready to sit down & paint up the FS's blue pinstriping. I'll be posting some more stuff later tonight, hopefully.

I know how you feel. Life has been getting in my way quite a bit lately. Just do what you can.

Another bit of an update! Been working on it the past couple days sculpting parts for the crab & cutting out the base for the tank. Just to give you an idea of what I'm working within, here's a pic of the one gallon tank. It's 6" from one flat side to the opposite & it's hexagon, like the floor panels in the FS & other shapes on the show- thought it'd be a nice touch. You can also see the small hole I drilled in the back panel to run wiring through.
IMG_20120606_144519.jpg

And here's a rough layout of what it'll look like. You can see the beginnings of the crab legs on the right there, as well as the other claw in the little bucket. The one thing I didn't realize is just how big the crab would be with all his limbs on!! He's almost too large for the tank!!!! I'll have to do some very creative placement with all the pieces to get everything in, especially the ruins.
IMG_20120619_213129a.jpg

Well, got some bad news. There were a couple bad setbacks. While cooking the crab to harden the Super Sculpy in the body, apparently the brass rods in the legs heated up too much & all of the legs split wide open on every segment as well as one of the claws. I also had to totally repaint the FS due to the rattlecan spewing out globs of paint instead of a nice, fine mist. (I'll post pics of all of the damage soon.) All in all I've lost about 4 days worth of work & of course my freelance gig calls up & needs me to come in tomorrow. Not gonna argue with the cash, but it's just bad timing. I'll give it my best shot & I will finish it, but honestly I don't think it's gonna be done in time for the contest. :-[

Well, it's not done. Of course Murphy ruled over me & on Friday I was dealing with my home problems for a lot of the day, effectively killing any chance. I'll finish it up so everyone can see it, no worries there.

Oh man,
sorry to hear about your set-backs. :(
I am still looking forward to seeing it completed. :)

Nope, sorry, man. Not finished in enough time, but I'm sure you know that already. it will get done, so no worries. I'm leaving on vacation for a couple weeks on Tuesday & I'll start back up when I return.

Latest posts

Back