Preference or proper steps?

eightfooticeman

Hello, right now I'm building the Revell 1/48 F/18 Super Hornet. I'm wondering if I should install all of the wings and pylons before primer and paint? It seems to me the Tamiya thin cement doesn't work well with painted parts. This is my first ever aircraft model, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Plastic cement will only bond plastic to plastic. You want to scrape paint away from any contact areas you will apply cement.

I build as much as I can before painting, wings included. The only things I leave off are parts that will be painted a different color or parts that can get broken during painting, such as landing gear, antennae, exhaust, propellers, sometimes canopies, etc.

I always find it hard to paint the inside of the pylons when they are attached, so I leave them off and paint them separately and attach them to the painted model. Not to mention on some planes you have to apply decals underneath the pylons which is hard to do when they are attached.

I use the same process as Spitfire - I construct the majority of the model and paint it. All the small parts (ie. landing gears, wheels, antennas) are painted individually and added later on (before the clear coat). I have never had good results adding these small parts to the model before the painting process - it becomes too fiddly to handle when painting.

i intall everithing on

the only thin i keep off are pylons and landing gear to make painting easier.

BUT to intall those part after yuo must A scrape away paint or B use Crazy glue/ epoxy (i do B)

Latest posts

Back