• Maybe

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Nah

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • What is "Gundam"?!?

Votes: 4 13.8%

• Total voters

sunsanvil

Just trying to get a feel for whether there would be enough interest to pursue something later this year.

For me it would depend upon when the group build is. My build que is full until the contest.

I've got a looooooot og Gunpla to build.
If it's limited to Zeta, Fine, I've got several of them and some projects including a FA (Full Armor), for example.

But one suggestion : to do a quick job, with a good result, small budget and a lot of place to do something cool, like a diorama, why not do that with some FG (first grade) 1/144 models ?
FG have no good reputation but have a lot of potential, the modern FG that is... And with the cannon foder that are the common MS like Zaku in MS Gundam, Ginn in Seed Gundam and so on, the possibilites are but vast.

The MG are good, even the RG are the best Gunpla EVER, but articulating an MS is a lot of work and time wasted that you can't take to make details, diorama, with a cool pose. Ten years ago with Seed Gundam Dengeki Hobby Magazine was full of that kind of work, incredible job with simple FG model kits.

How much are the new RG kits? I hacked together a PG Wing Zero a few years back. For what I paid for the kit, I really should have done a better job... :'(

For what it's worth, I'd be into it. But what's Zeta? I only ever built what looked cool, regardless of the series.

Only six Real Grades out so far, all coming in slightly lower than a cheap Master Grade, about $30 (+shipping). Haven't bought one myself yet but from what I can see they are exquisite kits. Basically MG detail and HG (1:144) scale.

NecronautDrummer said:
But what's Zeta? I only ever built what looked cool, regardless of the series.

Thats how I started: built an Ez8 cause it looked cool but had no idea what it was really. I was curious though so I started watching the shows and got HOOKED. Been building nothing but ever since.

Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam was the 2nd major (50 episode) TV series dating back the mid 80s and among the innumerable shows, miniseries, alternate timelines, etc it seem to still be a fan favorite: in 2005/2006 a three movie compilation was made splicing remastered footage with all new animation/dialog (sadly a dub was never done). Complete/legal show is on youtube (with commercials).

In terms of models its a veritable cornucopia of Universal Century stuff.

Anime serie realised in 1984, simply the best Gundam Show done yet (even if I really enjoyed watching Gundam Seed and if my best Gundam Show are, in fact OVA's like Gundam 0083 or Gundam 08th MS Team).

ban52673.jpg

I love me some Gundam....and mecha in general.
Zeta had some very awesome mecha designs, but there are a lot of other good mechs from other series as well. Maybe if we didn't limit it to one series...?
But, whatever we decide, I would totally be up for it. ;)

Grendels said:
For me it would depend upon when the group build is. My build que is full until the contest.

Ditto - But time depending I'm up for a good GB. Were you thinking it would be open to only the Mecha designs, or would it be open to other vehicle type from one of the Gundam universes?

Jason

JMac said:
I'm up for a good GB. Were you thinking it would be open to only the Mecha designs, or would it be open to other vehicle type from one of the Gundam universes?

Jason

+1

I'm not really fan of Gundam Universes, but I have a MadCat sleeping in the cellar.
In this case this group would interest me! ;)

Like I said at the start this thread is just to get a sense of what the level of interest would be for something Gundam related. I put the Zeta Gundam series out there as a possible theme but if there is little interest in that but great interest in something else, or simply a broader scope, thats what this discussion is for.

Rather than resticting this to Gundam, why not expand it to include any Mecha or Mechs.

This would then encompass Anime, Battletech etc etc....

I'm game for a GB, but I have no Zeta kits. Limiting it to one specific series in Gundam might be too restrictive to achieve high participation. I'd be down even if it were a general "Mecha" GB. Since I'm getting back into scale modeling, I need something like this to keep me moving forward. :)

I'd be up for it. XD

Since this is mainly a scale model board, would an 08th team or OYW build be better? Wouldn't take people so far out of their comfort zone. Grittier kits.

I would love to do a group build! I've just bought a couple of MG 1/100 Gundam Wing kits, so I would love to do one.

I've never done a group build either!

So, I just bought myself one of the cool new 1/144 RG kits, an Aile Strike Gundam. Very cool kit, but it's got STICKERS. I understand that there are aftermarket dry transfer sets for Gundam models out there somewhere... spent an hour googling, to no avail. Any help? ???

Bandai does make water-slide decals for select kits, sold separately. Its my one beef with them, not just smoking us an extra $5-$7, but they always release them after the kit, and they never seem to make enough (they go on backorder sometimes forever).

For the RG series, AFAIK, only decals for the RX-78 and Zaku have been released. They may (we hope) release a sheet for the Aile Strike in future, but in the meantime you can try Samuel Decals if you don't mind ordering from Hong Kong. They make all sort of non-official decals (on Alps printers) for the Gundam universe.

Frankly I think you would have to make it anything Gundam if you want to see a decent amount of participation.

Latest posts

Back