Polly Scale paint question

trainman

I’ve recently started using Polly Scale paints and I’d like to know if there is a defined thinner to paint ratio that will yield best results? I’m using a Badger Patriot air-brush and unfortunately I can’t adjust the PSI on my compressor, any suggestions. Thank you, Pierre

Hi, I have an old Brown Speedy compressor it doesn't have a regulator so I really don’t know the PSI. Thank you…

You might want to look into getting a pressure regulator or a compressor that has one. It can be an upward battle if you dont know and cant change the pressure you're spraying at. Most modelers work (depending on the type of paint) between 30 and 15 PSI. Sometimes depending on the effect im trying to achieve I will go down to 10 or 12 PSI. A good rule of thumb is to thin your paints to the consistency of milk. Take your time and spray thin even coats and build up color slowly. Keep us posted ;D

I agree with Mr. Natural; it's next to impossible to control, improve, and replicate results with an unregulated air supply. A low pressure regulator isn't very expensive and is easy to install on your compressor, the fittings just screw together. Another investment you might consider is a moisture trap if you're not already using one. Nothing ruins a great paint job quite as effectively as a great big blob of water shooting out of your airbrush.

Thank you for the input guys, I guess I’ll keep experimenting with thinners on small projects; I’m just starting to feel comfortable with acrylic paints. As for the compressor, I have an old Brown Speedy; it doesn’t have a regulator so I really don’t know the PSI. I’m looking into buying a new one in the new year, any suggestions?

Badger makes a nice line of compressors, some like the Paasche compressors and Grendels will probably recommend the Iwata compressors as he just got a new one of those. There are a few reviews of compressors on the reviews page. I myself have a Craftsman 1 1/2 compressor with a tank. Its a regular compressor with the regulator and moisture trap on it. Its loud being a regular compressor but if your looking for something more quiet then you may want to look into the Badgers, Paasches or Iwatas line. I always say compressors are compressors, its just a matter of what your looking to obtain. Harbor Freight always has a 1/5 compressor on sale for like $60. Reviews are mixed, some like it, some don't. I'm sure someone else will have a bit of better information for ya but that's what I have to offer you. Let us know what you end up purchasing.

If you want a nice quiet compressor that is airbrush specific I would recommend Iwata compressors. I have a Iwata Smart Jet and could not live without it!

I had a Paasche compressor for years and it gave me zero trouble until I let my daughter use it for a long extended session. She basically let it run for an hour straight. While I never used it for more than 10 minutes at a time. This caused it to overheat and the diaphragm ruptured.

I now have an Iwata pro jet. and it is a very nice compressor. The Iwata compressors are expensive however. But I know my daughter can run that compressor for hours on end without a problem. My advice is to sit down and think about how much you are going to use the compressor. If it is only every once in a while, you don't need to spend a lot on a compressor. But if you are going to use it all the time, then I would get a good one.

Cheap compressors can be found at amazon, or ebay. Other places are tcpglobal is another one.

Latest posts

Back