Polar Lights: NX-01 Enterprise: 1/350

Grendels said:
Accurate paint would be wonderful!! I do have vinyl paint mask already for her but I was thinking of making my own after taking a second look at the reference photos. I was going to use frisket film and cut them out by hand. There are literary five or six different shades of color on the ship, and it also looks like it was streaked on not painted. Thank you for the offer!!!

Oh not a problem my pleasure I also found a LED pulsing circuit that has a fast attack and slow decay that would possibly better mimic a strobe effect I'll build and test it abd post my results in a seperate thread but if it works your welcome to it as well, Still not sold on using Fiber for the Strobe's just yet I'm looking at 2mm lighthouse led's what's your take on them

I had not seen the 2mm lighthouse LED's until your post, had I come across them, I would have used them for this. But one thing I did see was someone who glued a very short piece of fiber to an LED so it had the proper size as it came out the hole, but the length was so short that all the light was transmitted.

There are two reasons why I thought to use fiber: One, the hole size, so I could keep the two lights in scale, and second, the strobe on this model is not that bright. Now if I was building the 1/350 refit, I would never use fiber for the strobes. On the Enterprise 1701A, those strobes are way too bright. I have a few really bright LED's, and I am going to use one of those for the strobe. Once I get the nacelles mounted on the engineering struts I will know for sure.

Got a silly question for you. Back in the post where you talk about painting the Nacells did you apply the paint to the inside of the dome as I would presume and most likely I would do myself. But I'm quite interested in how others are attacking problems and issues with this build.

Thank you for your help

I put the paint on the inside of the dome. I figured that there might be a bit of rough handling between now and the end of the build so putting it on the inside would protect it some.

Latest posts

Back