Please Help!

bkgActual

I don't know if I will have time to build one for the group build (working on an F4U for the aircraft build), but I could sure use some guidence about which MF kit to buy.

The MF is a personal favorite from the Star Wars universe, and I would really like to build one, but I have no idea which kit to get.

Any help you guys can give me on this would be much appreciated. I am a fairly good modeler (I would say intermediate anyway).

Thanks! I am looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with.

I would prefer the MPC Cut Away Millenium Falcon. Mostly because I have one on the bench and one in stash :)

My vote is for the MPC.

Apart from being a 'classic', it's a great size and is reasonably accurate out of the box and probably the most affordable of the bunch. It can still be ordered through your local shop (at least the cutaway seems to be at my shop) and it can still be gotten for the original price of around $20-$30 if you look hard enough.

It's very easy to throw together in a day, but highly mod worthy if you want to sink money into the accuratizing kits. Not to toot my own horn too highly, but Modeler's Brand double density LEDTape for the engines is likely the easiest and most affordable mod you can make at under $20!

I say the MPC as well. For all the reason's Tom listed. It's a fantastic platform for custom detailing or aftermarket and is very affordable.

If you want to spend $200+ then the FineMolds 1/72 is great. The FineMolds 1:144 is also a great kit and will run you around $60.

Though I have the FM 1/144, I's still say either the AMT/MPC, or the Revell kits.
They're not as spendy, and can be built into VERY presentable ships

I have an original MPC Falcon I've been looking for a reason to finish. I guess this is a good reason.

ModelMan said:
My vote is for the MPC.

Apart from being a 'classic', it's a great size and is reasonably accurate out of the box and probably the most affordable of the bunch. It can still be ordered through your local shop (at least the cutaway seems to be at my shop) and it can still be gotten for the original price of around $20-$30 if you look hard enough.

It's very easy to throw together in a day, but highly mod worthy if you want to sink money into the accuratizing kits. Not to toot my own horn too highly, but Modeler's Brand double density LEDTape for the engines is likely the easiest and most affordable mod you can make at under $20!

I hear ya Tom! I have seen your tape and think it is really cool. I carry standard LEDs on my store, but can see where the tape is a great way to do the MF engines. If I get the kit, I will probably get in touch! 8)

If time is a factor for you,... then I would go for the Fine Molds 1/144. It's small enough to build it quickly and still very detailed that you don't have to put much into it for accuracy.

Hhhhmmmmm...much to contemplate.
For financial, and time reasons, I may just have to see if I can locate any of my MPC/amt Falcons.
Does anyone have info on how tall the sidewalls actually need to be?

ModelMakerMike said:

Ebay is your best bet for one. Don't pay more than $30 for it though. They come up under that often.

I'm not sure exactly how tall the sidewalls should be...but I'm going to measure the aftermarket ones I have...and post photos so everyone can see the detail and then decide if they want to mimic the shapes or not.

I'll try to get that done within the next 48.

In all honestly I'd love to have a second kit and do just that..scratch build it all. Just for the fun of doing it along with everyone.

Scott Girvan said:
Here's one for $20 Buy it Now. If you're in the US.

Only thing is that this is the first item the seller has listed...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-RETURN-JEDI-Millennium-Falcon-Model-8917-New-Box-/250902139025?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6aeed091

Just picked it up Scott, thanks for the heads-up!

I am sure the first-time seller thing will be fine. We were all first-time sellers at one time. :)

Just started the F4U-1D today. Hopefully I will have time to do both models for the group builds!

ModelMakerMike said:
Hhhhmmmmm...much to contemplate.
For financial, and time reasons, I may just have to see if I can locate any of my MPC/amt Falcons.

IIRC in this article They mention that th Side walls need to be 14 cm Check th article .. it coulda' been 14mm ;D or maybe it was 1.4 cm ... Sorry .. Now I'm confused ! .... Sorry for th confusion .. but it's in this article

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/starwars/jm_mf.htm

Latest posts

Back