Help decide what to build for the BIG SMA Spring Contest

What model would you like me to build for the big SMA Spring Contest

• Total voters

Carsenault

Well there it is, after a week of careful consideration, I cant decide what to build for this big contest.

Option #1 is an F1 Car, which I haven't built in a while. Using the Fujimi 1/20 Ferrari F190 kit, I'd build Nigel Mansell's #2 from the 1990 season. This build would run in conjuction with the Ferrari GB over at Brit Modeller. Aftermarket would include Tabu Design's tobacco sponsor decals and Model Factory Hiro multimedia harnesses as well as some color matched paint.

Option #2 is a Revell Germany 1/72 Lancaster MkI/III converted to a post war RCAF Lancaster Mk 10 Search and Rescue. Aftermarket would include Belcher Bits decals and post war resin main wheels. I would also enter this in the "Swords to Plowshares" special category.

OPtion #3 is the Dragon 1/48 He162/Me262 Mistel kit, built OOB. The Mistels were planned during the closing phases of the war by the Luftewaffe, using a worn out airframe converted to a flying bomb and guided by a smaller aircraft attached by a series of struts. A few Mistels were actually flown, but the He162/Me262 combo never left the drawing boards, though a similar combo using the Arado Ar377 was tested. This would be a What-If Luft'46 build and because of the recycled Me262 component I'd enter this in the "Garbage" special category.

Option #4 is a Revell 1/48 Mosquito B.Mk IV. built in the markings of Wing Commander Guy Gibson of 627 Sqn RAF. The kit would be built using some parts from the Airfix Mosquito kit and Aeromaster Decals

I'd say the Mosquito or the Lancaster. :) I like the Mosquito the most though. Looks like fun and would be nice to dig into the background of it. That would be my choice (Gonna pick one up now, thanks a lot! :p)

I have gone through much the same problem. I have four or five kits to choose from, and I just can't make up my mind. It really doesn't matter just yet. I don't have time to start on them until Wednesday anyhow.

This is the advice that a friend gave me: Do something that the others won't do. So I vote for number 2. It is also a good idea, because it is in a category that most won't build in.

I voted for that Dragon kit. F1 cars are not my cup of tea. ;D

And yeah. It's hard to decide. I don't know what to build yet, either. I don't want to rush a good kit, but I don't have smaller ones either. :'(

Thanks for the input guys. Ill keep this poll open til this evening. ALso, I had to vote myself just so I could see the results. I just simply chose the F1 car at the time coz nobody else had mentioned it in thier posts at that point. At this point it clearly looks like the Dragon Mistel build is in the lead.

elend said:
I voted for that Dragon kit. F1 cars are not my cup of tea. ;D

And yeah. It's hard to decide. I don't know what to build yet, either. I don't want to rush a good kit, but I don't have smaller ones either. :'(

Kitbash something for the GARBAGE category.

Kitbash something for the GARBAGE category.
I am really thinking about it. I like the garbage category. It's so wild and random. Now I have to think about a nice idea.

Ok, its official The Dragon 1/48 He162/Me262 Mistel it shall be. I'l be sending in my official entry tomorrow.

Scott as per my exlanation about the Germans planning to convert old airframes into the flying bombs, would that qualify this build for the Garbage category?

Cheers Everyone!

I know it is hard to decide but ONE KEY FACTOR Remains !!!

TIME !

You don't have much time to complete any of those... in much detail that is !

F1 cars need a superb polished finish ! so skip that one !

the Mistel is actally 2 models in one !!! too long !

The Lanky ! in 72nd is a big girl ! but if you go OOB maybe that's a good choice !

the Mosquito !!! if not the Tamiya ! don't bother !

Tamiya is like a shake n bake kit !!! you add glue to the box ... rattle and Enjoy a finished product !!!

so all this to say !!! chose but chose wisely !!! once you open the can of worms.... you've to deal with it !

Best of luck !!! we are all going to need a little bit of it !!!

I just dropped my model and it broke !!! so... I LOST it !!!

I always have my scouts to turn back to !!! LOL

Norm

OUT !

schweinhund227 said:
I know it is hard to decide but ONE KEY FACTOR Remains !!!

TIME !

You don't have much time to complete any of those... in much detail that is !

F1 cars need a superb polished finish ! so skip that one !

the Mistel is actally 2 models in one !!! too long !

The Lanky ! in 72nd is a big girl ! but if you go OOB maybe that's a good choice !

the Mosquito !!! if not the Tamiya ! don't bother !

Tamiya is like a shake n bake kit !!! you add glue to the box ... rattle and Enjoy a finished product !!!

so all this to say !!! chose but chose wisely !!! once you open the can of worms.... you've to deal with it !

Best of luck !!! we are all going to need a little bit of it !!!

I just dropped my model and it broke !!! so... I LOST it !!!

I always have my scouts to turn back to !!! LOL

Norm

OUT !

Yeah, it willl be interesting, especially considering my usual glacial speed at model building. I still plan on completing the Ferrari for the GB at Britmodeller.

Charlie, I'm not sure man. I'll pass this over the Gary - the category sponsor....GARY!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back